geting a discus onto pellets

turknolan

Quite often when a new food is introduced into ones aquarium it takes the fish a few days (sometimes longer) to adjust to the smell, taste, or even texture of the food. For overly stubborn fish I will slightly soak the pellets with tank water (just enough water for the pellets to fully absorb) for approx 10 minutes, and then feed. Do this for a few days, and then slowly reduce the water content and pre-soaking time, until you are eventually feeding the food directly from the container. If that doesn't work, try pre-soaking the pellets in shrimp/krill juice. If your fish are being fed an assortment of fresh/frozen foods, it's possible that they might never eat a dry pellet food.

HTH

you could also soak the food in a garlic solution or use garlic guard.

you can pick it up at big als i think.

stimulates the fishs smell sense and is like a piranha to blood.

ive also tried using small amounts of cows blood, its gross but also works very well.

soak the pellets in that then use less and less until no more is needed.

Quinn

To add a new food into your Discus's diet, easiest and quickest way is to always feed the new food 1st thing in the morning when the fish are hungriest. Next feeding, give them a food they like, and alternate between the familiar and new food throughout the day. Persistance is the key. Also, once even 1 fish starts nibbling at the new food, most likely they'll all try it.

Personally, I have not found starving fish a very successful option, since some fish will starve before they'd consider eating an unknown food. Also, it seems as though they just get plain turned off of all food due to starvation, in which case you've got a He** of an uphill battle to get them eating anything again.

If you feed frozen bloodworms or mysis shrimp, soak some of the pellets in the blood/juice. And yes, definitely feed the new food first before giving their regular food. My Discus don't care for pellets much but they love H2o stable wafers...If you can get one interested, they all have to try.

Tammy

Can anyone stop by and help me catch a cow..lol J/K That would be gross.