48g bow pic thread

sharuq1

Please excuse the dirty glass--going through the "brown stage" in this tank which is not all the way cleaned up yet (doing so in stages to avoid a spike from the sand). Just had to take some pics though, love that mandy! :)

allpicsoncameradec12071ph6.jpg

my mandarin investigates the spice jar I have put out for him with pellets and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, his fins tend to fan the sand and whatnot all over

allpicsoncameradec12071rb0.jpgnewbow004mg6.jpgallpicsoncameradec12071es6.jpg

allpicsoncameradec12071cq8.jpg

mr. L. blenny checks out his new digs beneath "Ghagsp Rock" :P

newclownstu5.jpg

clowns that came with the tank (may have to sell one or both of them to avoid overstocking though)

allpicsoncameradec12071fl5.jpg

the whole tank today, dirty glass and all ...water looks clear though

Edited by sharuq1

I sure hope your mandarin fourishes. That is my ultimate goal a mandarin in an SPS tank. Like the tank. Both of mine are GHA factories at the moment but it's improving. Good luck.

Brad

It is a 50/50 chance whether this little guy will make it in here or not. He has been in this tank according to it's last owners for almost a year, but I have yet to see a single copepod in there and I wonder how he has lived that long and not starved. He is not emaciated but not as fat as I think he should be. I have always wanted a mandarin, and I have my fingers crossed hoping he will eat the food I offer him in the little jar so he won't starve to death. It is risky, but if he has made it in there that long he has a good chance I hope. (Most experienced mandarin keepers I am sure would fry me here and tell me take him to a store or to someone else and whatnot--but the way I see it it's difficult to find a mandarin in good shape at a store and I wanted one anyway so why not at least try. I kept all the old water from the tank when it was moved here, kept the LR submerged and left the sand bed alone, so other than it having less gha and ammonia the tank is essentially the same as it was before....like I said he must have ate something. Ah but I am rambling.... :rolleyes:

This tank was covered in gha when I got it, and unfortunately it is returning. I see the battle with it draws nigh. :boxer:

Beautiful fish wow! I read that that particular fish is very hard to keep is that true?

They are hard to keep if you do not have a set-up tank that is well stocked with/fluorishing with pods. I would highly not recommend getting one until a tank has been running for a couple years as I have not heard good things about the track record for their survival as many will refuse all non-alive foods. If mine had not come with the tank I would not even consider having one at this stage.

Mandarins got me into salt water. I had one in my 90 but I only had about 66# of rock which is not enough to keep him alive. I tried to get him frozen with no luck he lasted just shy of a year( The only fish salt fish I have lost not due to jumping or powerfailure). Now I have about 120# of rock and lots on my refugium so that should be enough to maintain one.

• 1 month later...