Birth to Breeding - How Long?

punman

I have always loved C. moorii (Blue Dolphins). A few years ago I had some juveniles that I raised to breeding size and that was exciting.

But I wanted to try raising some from birth to breeding size to see how long it would take. In the past I had only raised Dolphin fry for two to six months and then sold them. I find they grow really slowly compared to many African Cichlids – especially at the beginning. They seem to take forever to get to two inches. Then they seem to take off in growth between two inches and four inches – then they taper off from four inches to maturity.

Well, I can now answer my own question. It took 20 months from release to first spawn. This month I had a spawn from a group of six. Contrast that with some saulosi fry that I raised from birth to first spawn in well under a year.

Most people that want to breed fish buy adult proven breeders or juveniles that are halfway there. Do any of you have experience from “cradle to motherhood” with your fish? I know Frontosas take a long time. Mine took 18 months from the time they were 4-6 inches long to breed so I am sure they were over two years of age.

Dwayne, my group of C. moorii (from you) were spawning in under 12 months. They were well under 1" when I received them on Sept 3rd 2005, and were spawning by the following May 2006. I suspect by the size of the juvies that I purchased they would have been spit in early July 2005. So in total, approx 11 months from birth to breeding.

Here's a pic of the first spawn ......

fish22.JPG

That female held to term, and defended her clutch to the max. Some days she had every fish in that tank (125 gallon) pushed

to the opposite side of the tank. At the time of that spawning the females in this group were approx 3 inches, the male was approx 4", and he was in full breeding mode 24/7. (ratio of 6 F/1 M) Housed in a 6ft 125 gallon with a few yellow labs, and a pair of P. Taiwan Reef. Fed exclusively on you know what, and they received a 50-60% water change every 4-5 days for that first year.

IMO diet, water quality, size of tank, and genetics all play a major role in breeding age. Many times simply removing a pair or group of fish from a "busy" tank, to their own tank will net instant results.

I think there are so many variables on this question that every body will have a different answer or opinion--( type of food,amount of food,tank size,tank crowding,amount of water changes, volume of water changes,temperature,filtration,genetics,etc.) I do know I was able to get Electric blues (S.freyeri) from egg to holding in about 6-7 months.The only fry I'm growing out now to keep for breeding are 25 Cyprichromis's the 5 oldest were stripped june 17-07 and were probably a couple weeks old at the time--So I will know how long it takes for them under the conditions that I keep them in.