German Blue Rams spawned!!!

interlude

For the 4th time they have spawned. The first 3 times were unsuccessful and my male moved on to another female.. that stud muffin. Well.. on the 4th spawn.. I originally thought they would just eat the eggs again. However, this time I noticed on one side of the clay dish thingy I have in the tank.. one side had darker looking eggs and the other side had lighter looking ones. I also saw the female and male eating the eggs.. I was thinking.. great.. here we go again. But then I saw them SPIT them out into the pile of darker eggs.. I looked closer.. and guess what?? I GOT WIGGLERS!!!!

What can I feed them? I need to buy it tomorrow! I need some help here people! I have no clue what I should do with these guys. Should I pick up a 5g and a sponge filter and move them into the 5g??? NEED HELP! LOL

Should I pick up a tank divider so that I can isolate the tetras, corys and apistos and the other female ram to the other side of the tank and let the parents do their thing? so far I have a cascade 700 running on the side where the parents are, I turned that off, and the aquaclear 70 on the right of the tank is running. I dont want to suck up all the fry if they start swimming.

post-2925-1199347709.jpg

Edited by interlude

what i do is remove the fry when they are free swimming.

dont worry about a divider im sure the parents will chase the others to the other side of the tank

if they get too close to the fry.

Quinn

What do you feed them?

Here are the pics I took today and some yesterday

pics

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing, I hope to have fry someday :)

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing, I hope to have fry someday :)

Damn,.. just as I expected. Too many tankmates, they ended up eating the eggs. I also noticed the eggs had fungus on them.

Oh well.. another 2 weeks and they should spawn again.. hopefully :) The females stomach is nice and red again.

• 1 month later...

Congrats! What kind of water parameters did they spawn in? Are you doing anything special to get them to breed? I haven't ever kept soft water species in the kind of water that comes out of the tap in Alberta before and am now trying to do so but cutting it with RO water. Just wondering on how other people are making out. :)

i have 4 rams 3females and 1 male

first spwan and

he ate the eggs.

second female and they are just free swimming now.

very territorial.

i am going to move them soon and hopefully grow them up.

i have very hard water.

ph is 7.8

and 80% hatch rate

i can not stop spying on them.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finally got more males for my 2 females yesterday. I am hoping to also get them to spawn. Everywhere I read said that they are harder to spawn in higher pH and harder water. So I guess you have proved them wrong. I would also grind up some flakes, into fine powder for the babies, and then switch to baby brine shrimp. I know I had a very difficult time trying to separate my convicts fry, the babies would cling to the rocks. I am not sure how rams fry would be. As far as what I have read the parents will protect their young. They were probably too inexperienced before when they ate their eggs. How big are your rams that spawned?