How long is silicone viable in dry tank?

Northranger

There is a 136 gallon tank for sale "as is" on the net I am looking at. The owner just emailed me to say it was used for 6-8 years, as a salt water tank for the last year, was drained leaving the same sand inside and now has been dry and unused for 5-7 more years.

Any thoughts on if the tank seals would still be ok?

I am shopping for a large tank this week (my birthday present!) and used seems a better, by far, bang for the buck!

Hal

It would depend on the manufacturer of the original silicone. Some of the older silicones were not as good as the new stuff. You may want to reline the tank just for peace of mind.

Thanks to both of you!

Being a newby...so the structure would not be in danger but with the chance of leaks I should re-line the interior with silicone.

I'll contact the owner to take a look at the set up.

Thanks again!

Hal

Don't forget to use aquarium safe silicone as the anti-fungal agents in typical silicone will be harmful to your tanks' biofilter.

I'm sure there's others with more experience than me, but your phrasing there made me think I should jump in, just in case. You aren't just relining with silicone, you need to first remove the old, I believe...

I'm pretty sure someone posted a fantastic DIY reseal job explanation on the site here... a more seasoned member can probably lead you right to it. :)

I'm sure there's others with more experience than me, but your phrasing there made me think I should jump in, just in case. You aren't just relining with silicone, you need to first remove the old, I believe...

I'm pretty sure someone posted a fantastic DIY reseal job explanation on the site here... a more seasoned member can probably lead you right to it. :)

That would have been Nick (Sam Chicklets). The article is pinned to the top of the DIY forum.