Aponogeton ulvaceus FLOWER!!

chloeclose

The method of placing a plastic cup over them as I mentioned before works awesome, It acts as a tiny greenhouse which keeps the flowers warm and humid. The seeds if not vaccuumed up will even begin to grow but it is a slow and painful growth as the bulb must develope first. I made the mistake once of trimming A.Ulvaceous down and leaving it in the tank, It rotted, On the next one I trimmed it down roots to 1" and leaves completely. This worked well and after 3 months in a cooler with 4" of water in total darkness in the coolest place of my basement it came back slowly but managed to do well after the roots established. With A.Crispus I simply trim the roots to 2" after the second flowering and all the leaves then I simply mark it with a plant marker and let it rest. Once again slowly they come back and within six months they can flower again. A. Undulatus also works best under the cooler method. Propogation of A.Ulvaceous works best in a plants only tank I'd say where you wouldn't need to vaccuum the bottom until the seeds have germinated and become small bulbs, once they are bulbs I would transfer the youngsters to a small tank using plastic green house containers and good lighting, like most aponogetons, after awhile if you want height, subdue the light a bit and they will grow fast and furious, increase the light for a shorter bulkier plant. Most importantly give them alot of room, over crowding them with big rooted plants hurts their growth even in good fertilised water. Seedlings and young plants did best in soil once older a little gravel to cover half the bulb keeps the bulb happy and allows for a bigger bushier and straighter plant. Good luck and enjoy the great plant.

Thanks for the info Oxquo!

I was talking to Henry today and apparently what I did wrong was 'forcing' the stalk out of the tank, I just should have let it go on it's own... :rolleyes: Oh well, one mystery solved! And two new stalks comin' up! :thumbs:

I love this plant!! :wub: