Aponogeton ulvaceus FLOWER!!

chloeclose

flower.jpg

I just got this plant yesterday and I was a little worried that the conditions in my low tech tank might not be right for it. Apparently it is very happy!

The flower in the picture was not there yesterday... this morning it was just a little shoot maybe an inch, it's now about 10 inches! -ham-

Just thought I'd share... no one else I know cares!! LOL :lol:

Here's a crappy shot of the whole tank...

50.jpg

yup, that must be one happy plant!!!

I had a tiger lotus or lily.... whatever they are called....flower last week too. It was a nice surprise to see it. I bet I was as interested in seeing that flower as you were. Not a single person in my family cared at all...I just got a bunch of eyerolling and loud sighs from them.

I've Aponogeton's flower in the past too, I believe mine were all crispus. The flowers are quite neat looking, getting to almost 4" above the water! I never had any luck getting seeds, but hopefully you will. I think you're supposed to use a fine paintbrush to try to polinate it, but after that I don't know what to do (it's been a while).

Hmmm interesting... I'll hafta see if I can find more info on propragation...

It's almost to the top now... not sure what I should do next... I want to see the flower but there's nowhere for it to go... will it open under water?

That's what I was thinking.... thanks AF! It is just about long enough to reach now.

I can't believe how fast this thing is growing! :shock:

I once had my E.osiris grow a flower stock. It was amazing, it had to be 3 feet long. But instead of letting it flower i submerged it and got a ton of baby plantlets.

Take more pics of when it flowers :)

PS: i'm thinking of trying to grow some Crypts emersed to see if i can get them to flower. They have beautiful flowers that look like cala lilies. Very nice

It's now long enough to stick out of a small opening in the top. I see 4 new shoots on the plant as well, very cool! :)

If the flower opens I will definitely take a pic...

So Kyle... if I understand correctly what I've been reading... if I get more than one flower, I should use a q-tip or a fine brush to spread the pollen? Just from one flower to the next? Then what? Do I need to do something else? Just let the flower die? Cut it off? And where do the seeds grow? What should I do with them? :wacko: I would love to have more of these plants, it was expensive to buy and is beautiful! :wub:

Edited by chloeclose

First question? where did you find my favorite all-time plant and can you get more? If you can I could send you the money if you'll keep them til I get down there or maybe Garhan would? By the way congrats on the flower Babies may not be far behind. Hopefully you don't make the mistake I did and gravel vaccuum it up when it loses it's leaves. I rub the two flowers together lightly and pollenate one with the other. I have had suggestions of putting a plastic cup over the flowers so they pollinate each other in the cup I have not tried and proven this method. Rather than a Q-tip I would suggest a clean sterile artists paintbrush as this doesn't strip the flowers of potential plants from the Q-tip snagging and pulling on the flowers. Best method is to hold the two flowers together and yes wait for the second flower hold them together and paint back and forth one to the other. I do this for a couple of days to make sure pollination takes but often once is enough it's just that the buds develope at different rates so 2-3 days makes sure all the potential plants get fertillised.

I believe that there's actually multiple flowers on each stalk. Mine flowered and it's a 4-6" stalk that is above the water with probably 50-100 tiny flowers on it. I'm pretty sure that you can cross-pollinate these using the fine brush as Oxquo had said. Hopefully you do get a second flower off the plant, but I never had two flowers at the same time. My understanding is that once pollinated they will begin forming seeds which drop into the aquarium. Not sure if there's any easy way to collect these or not. Keep us posted! I'd love some seeds as well!

I got it from Henry Oxquo. He DID have 2 or 3... I got the best one though! :smokey: I had to buy it as soon as I saw it, I drooled over Garhan's but he wasn't willing to give it to me!! :cuss: :lol:

Thanks for all the info guys, the stuff I've been finding on the net is pretty vague, kinda assumes that the reader has more knowledge than I do!

OK, well there is at least one more flower stalk coming up now. I'm a little worried about the original one, since I poked it out the top it has kinda gotten dehydrated, not the bud part but the top of the stalk if that makes sense, I was almost thinking I should have left it in... If this one craps out I will wait longer with the next one before taking it out. Experiment time! Right now I'm wishing I had an open top tank with hanging lights, oh well... can't have everything I guess!

I have some pics of A. ulveseous. Way to Chloeclose. Like Oxquo said on the pollenation issue. I also do the same with A.crispus and other A. type plants. The rubbing of the 2 flowers together seems to work best. i also have used the Q-tip but it does snag the small flowers and damages them.

After awhile the Aponogetens will look like they died off. Dont be alarmed, because they are actually still alive but in a dormant state. Cripus usually comes back in 3-6 months. As for the ulvaseous, I not sure. Someone once told me that they need to be removed and kept in a cool spot. But dont dry them out. I need to check up on that topic.

Garhan

post-36-1107328140

Yep... no clue what to do after that... :wacko:

BTW the first stalk totally dried out... :( There's another one coming, halfway up to the top already, I'm going to leave it alone for awhile.

This might be a stupid question but if they dry out when they are not in water and don't bloom under water.... what the heck do I do?? Obviuosly I'm missing something.... :unsure: