What is the trick?

SerLunchbox

I don't know what it is. I have my angelfish spawning, i have my ameca splendins spawning, yet hen it comes to rams, i just can't seem to keep them.It is truely annoying me. They have lots of places to hide, the water is awesome for them yet no luck. I think it is the angels picking on them and stressing them out but i can't fully confirm that anymore. just bugs me that i am having luck with the angels and yet when it comes to rams nothing. Does anyone happen to have any tricks they have when it comes to keeping them?

IT could just be the stock you are getting. I"ve heard people who alway have trouble with rams dying for no reason. I think its just a bad starin of ram.

I dont' have any tricks for keeping them. I bought captive bred rams and they live happily in my water(ph 7.8). I didn't do anything special for them. So i woudl suggest you try buying your rams froma different store or if you have already done that try finding some CB ones.

they are finnicky little buggers. some strains as val mentioned are just bad and really specific about water quality and/or die for no reason. they are like really expensive aquatic froggs :)

To some extent it depends on the ram... I've argued this with josh a few times... He swears up and down you need to cut 1/4 with RO to get them to breed. Mine (F1, longfin, and a nice german strain + my bolivians) all bred in tap water.

Conditioning is somewhat key though, they've really got to be fed well. And definitely prefer a planted tank with lots of hiding spaces (and a few strategically placed flat rocks on the substrate).

Andy

Trying to remember numbers off hand - tap in mcmurray was pretty much same as edmonton... Believe it was 8.3 from the tap dropping to 7.6 (planted tanks were closer to 7 from CO2 injection). GH was 160ppm I think, KH 140 or thereabouts...

Should be almost identical to edmonton tap water - as we were downstream.

Andy

Well, my tank is quite heavily planted, lots of driftwood in the tank that make up cave structures (arranged very particularily). My pH is 7.6, GH of 11, KH of 9.5 all other tests are 0. Lots of places for these guys to hide at all levels of the tank. Lots of slate and other rock around the tank.

My pH is 7.6, GH of 11, KH of 9.5 all other tests are 0

With those numbers it should be fien for rams. My water was pretty much the same except i had a PH of 7.8. MAybe it could have been that the store was keeping the rams at a lower ph and when you transfered them to your tank the ph swing was too much to handle. Have you asked or measured the stores water? When i bought mine from dad's fishroom they were already aclimated to edmonton's tap water.

yes. They had a slightly lower pH and KH/GH but i acclimated the rams for about 2.5 hours. I think it may have been my angels ... they literally JUST spawned and i just put in the plastic barrier and covered over the front of the glass so nothing can bother them. Here's hoping the spawn survives this time (they are being good parents which has happened but never a successful hatching, always eaten overnight)