F/W plant lighting...

Oilpatch

My 33gal planted us just under way and I was wondering what kind of lighting (fluorescent, actinic etc..) and how much would be required for some common types of plants (swords, hygrophelia etc). I am using my old coralife 36" that has both the fluorescent and actinic but they are quite old and need replacing. Should I use just fluorescent or stick with the origional types? Both are 96W, the fluorescent is 10,000k. I have fluorite for a substrate (how deep is good enough?).

You really just need one of those bulbs. At 3 wpg of compact flourescent, you've got excellent lighting. You'll need to add a carbon source, otherwise, you'll be having a lot of algae issues. You'll also need to fertilize - both macro and micro nutrients. Beware that most aquatic fertilizers only give you micronutrients - a sure recipe for algae.

Excellent, thanks for the link, I will be sure to check it out! 2-3 inches is what I thought just wanted some confirmation for the roots.

Everything you want to know about lighting for planted tanks: Beginner Basics

The Tropica site lists many species of plants and their light requirements.

A substrate of about 2-3" deep should give most plants enough room for good roots.

Great, cheaper for me!

macro...mental note!

Thanks

You really just need one of those bulbs. At 3 wpg of compact flourescent, you've got excellent lighting. You'll need to add a carbon source, otherwise, you'll be having a lot of algae issues. You'll also need to fertilize - both macro and micro nutrients. Beware that most aquatic fertilizers only give you micronutrients - a sure recipe for algae.

Is it not true that in a planted tank that has a fish population in it does not need macro fertilizers as the fish mulm provides the macro nutrients?

It depends on the growth rate of the plants. In a higher light tank with CO2 addition, you will need to add macros.