Aquascape/ tank plans

Kayen

25grescapeplans.jpg

The aim of this tank is basically low maintenance, and the specs are as follows:

Size 2.5 US gallons

Filtration - Small hob - unknown flow rate- will switch over to Elite Mini.

Lighting - Spiral 15 watt cf, at about 4.5 above the top of the tank.

Substrate(that i will be using): 0.5" layer of peat, capped with a 1" layer of fine gravel.

Plants: What i have so far: Java Moss, Hygrophila polysperma.

What i'm trying to get: Marselia spp. looking for a small species.

I need your suggestions as what to do with that "unplanned area"

Fauna: 1 male betta, 2 female guppies, planning to get lots of rcs.

Need your suggestions plantwise, and scape wise, and what i should do with the scape : D

Also, i'll be needing the plants too - as i've posted in the livestock buy / sell section =]

I think the H. polysperma would be way too big for a tank of this size. Plants with smaller leaves would appear more in proportion with your aquascape.

Some easy-care plants with medium light requirements that would work:

Eleocharisacicularis_Bjarne.jpg

Eleocharis acicularis- hairgrass

Hemianthusmicranthemoides.jpg

Hemianthus micranthemoides- baby tears

Rotalarotundifolia3.jpg

Rotala indica/ R. rotundifoila

The leaf shapes of these three would contrast each other nicely. Also if your light levels are high enough, the Rotala will show a nice touch of red.

Lol 3 plants i like but i am scared to do as i am really unexperienced.

But if i had the chance, i'd probably make a slope behind that rock wit hthe moss, and replace the hygro with some hm.

At the very bck of the tank as background some rotala, and the rest of the tank, some dwarf hair grass, but i don't think i have good enough conditions for these plants, or HM or harigrass at least, that's why i want to try marselia spp. as it seems so much easier.

Edit: also isn't E.parvula smaller than E.acicularis?

Edited by Viettxboii

Yes, the E. parvula is a bit smaller, but it seems to be harder to find. I think Marsilea can be a bit scarce too. Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba" might be a good alternative (I just got ahold of some, so if it grows, I'm happy to share.)

Don't be afraid to try some species that are beyond 'easy' care. You will have plenty of light, and in such a small tank, carbon can easily be supplied via Flourish Excel.

For some inspiration, see the Small Aquatic Garden entries at the AGA Aquascaping contest.

I've seen those before, most of them seem too high tech for me.

I heard that HC required more than 15 watts over a 2.5g, that's why i don't want to try it.

and people who grow hc in tank size same as mine, usually use 27 watts, instead of the 15 watts i have.

Amazing hte insane amount of light people put into nanos

Edited by Viettxboii

I think the H. polysperma would be way too big for a tank of this size. Plants with smaller leaves would appear more in proportion with your aquascape.

Some easy-care plants with medium light requirements that would work:

Eleocharisacicularis_Bjarne.jpg

Eleocharis acicularis- hairgrass

Hemianthusmicranthemoides.jpg

Hemianthus micranthemoides- baby tears

Rotalarotundifolia3.jpg

Rotala indica/ R. rotundifoila

The leaf shapes of these three would contrast each other nicely. Also if your light levels are high enough, the Rotala will show a nice touch of red.

I agree / great contrast....

Hmm....

for those plants... what would be a good set up then... keeping in mind that i have plain gravel, and not much money to buy any fancy substrate...

Also, i saw a few E. parvula at pj's...

So i'll snag those if i see them...

Anyone got rotala and HM to spare then...?

That's after i get the set up right... think excel +15watts + plain gravel + soil underlayer will do it ( too lazy to go get peat, instead i'm stealing soil from the house plants : D)

Edit: also rotala is normally green, if the light is more intense it tends to go pinker... same goes for my hygros.

Edited by Viettxboii