Aquarium safe paint?

chloeclose

I was thinking about painting the white eggcrate I got black so if it gets dug up it won't show so much against the black sand... Good or bad idea? And if it's a good one, what kind of paint should I use? :well:

I was just doing some more research on this whole eggcrate thing... and I had an idea...

What if I used that stuff that's made out of plastic but looks like corrugated cardboard? Not sure what the correct name of this stuff is... :rolleyes: it comes in a bazillion colours and then I wouldn't have to worry about painting it OR the sand compacting into the holes... I thought about plexi glass but it seems plexi is kinda expensive... any thoughts??

Hmmm... good point... but I don't entirely understand how that would happen, if it was cut to fit flush to the sides... :well: 'Course I may be missing something here!! :lol:

I'm wondering if I run a strip of silicon along the sides of that plastic stuff if that be sufficient to plug the holes... :well:

I'm also going to try and find black eggcrate tomorrow, apparently it does exist, the only stuff I saw other than white was chrome and it was $40 for a sheet! :o

Whatever I do, I need to do it soon... gotta get that tank cycling! -ham-

The name of the stuff you're talking about is coraplast (sp?). It was discussed on the Cichlid Forum awhile ago...can't find the thread right now, but it was generally dismissed as a dangerous option. Not nearly as effective as eggcrate, and prone to capturing a fair amount of 'expired' water in the long channels.

Have you considered plexi?

OK then... scratch that idea! :lol: Thanks for the info Canuckle. And here I thought I was so clever coming up with that on my own... :rolleyes:

I haven't seriously considered plexiglass but I think I will get some prices on it tomorrow... for some reason I'm expecting it to be expensive...

At home depot they start at about $18 for decent sized 3mm plexi.... the size you want (I looked at 4'x2', and it costs about $35 if im not mistaken) Personally... go with the eggcrate, and find a safe way to paint it. Maybe even use the cement stuff that we talked about using on the 3d backgrounds (I still haven't decided if im gonna start mine... I got the styro sitting around doing nothing)

Ty

Well I was FINALLY able to locate some black eggcrate today. So that problem is now solved... phew! That stuff is hard to find!!! :wacko:

In case anyone is interested I got it from All-West Plastics, cost $20 and they cut it for me as well.

Oooooo getting closer.... -ham-