Breeding behavior

Stacey

Well Holy Carp! Look into my bumblebee tank yesterday and see a male in breeding colours! :w00t: Today there's 2! They're chasing around the ladies, and evicting baby trumpet snails from certain shells. :hey:

This is where I go EEEK! What do I do now?? The only thing to breed in my tanks are snails, and they need no help! And those fish listed in my signature? those'd be the only fish I've ever had...... the cardinal tetras I can't even distinguish gender.

Any and all tips on breeding small fish, or Bumblebee gobies specifically, would be appreciated along about now!

I've done some reading, and it seems I should be looking for something like infusoria and rotifers as a first food....... anybody got any info on starter cultures?? That's assuming of course the fish actually lay eggs, and that those eggs hatch...

Also, to those of you coming to the Calgary auction..... I'll be looking for some breeding supplies, a 5 gallon tank, etc....

(hint, hint) :D

Edited by Stacey

Not sure if BB Gobies will take care of their kids or not. The male generally keeps guard of the eggs in his shell. The easiest way to grow up the kids would be to siphon them into a small tank or large jar - probably around 1-2 gal to start. If you can grow green water, that's a good start. A big clump of Java moss would be a good source of inforsoria - the babies will pick at it. Microworms and vinegar eels may be a good 1st food, but may be a bit big for BB fry.

Good luck! :thumbs:

I have read they eventually find their own children delicious! :rolleyes:

I think what I will do, is go back to the brackish water changes for now, until I have time to do more reading and gather some supplies. (I was too lazy to mix up the salt water last week, it was the fresh water that induced the spawning behavior.)

These little fish continually surprise me..... I almost decided against getting them altogether, as I read they were so hard to feed, and that they are very delicate. I'm glad I did though, so far taking care of these fish has been easier that I expected.