Angels

Sam Chicklets

Just a theory. I have 2 pairs of breeding angels, they are in side by side tanks. For the first time both pairs have had free swimming fry on the same day. I usually syphon off most of the fry and move them to separate tanks, and the remaining fry get eaten by the parents. This time however the 2 pairs seem to be watching and gaurding against each other and have not eaten the remaining fry. I wonder if this just a coincidence or if seeing each other with fry has something to do with it. For those who are interrested the pairs are Hell's Angels and Elvis/Black Beauty.

I can see that. With breeding bettas, one of the ways I was able to convince the males that they WERE ready to breed was to introduce a competing male in his view. The male who was reluctant to breed suddenly became aggressive, defensive and possessive of the female. A successful breeding soon followed.

After 5 says they finaly ate their young again. This is still a record for my fish.

• 2 months later...

I have my breeding pair of angels and they ate their young the first three batches. They were in a community tank with a divider. I believe it was the stress of seeing the other fish on the other side as they were clearly agitated. I then took away the next three clutches of fry at the wiggler stage. They have grown to nickel size. The angels now have the 38 gallons to themselves and the parents now will raise their own without eating them. I keep the light on all the time as i lost a few in the rocks the first night they were swimming. I feed them live brine and they grow very fast. Feeding mysis and frozen brine seems to keep the parents from eating the fry. Although sometimes I think the male will eat them to get her to lay more eggs. I consider myself lucky to have two good parents!!!