Any dwarf loaches out there?

Argentis

I thought puffers need a brackish tank to thrive. Are there some true freshwater species? If so, that might be a neat addition.

Dwarf puffers aka pea puffers are a freshwater species that only get about 1". They aren't usually considered "community type fish" as they can be nippy and aggressive. Becareful when adding them to a peaceful tank,

Edited by degrassi

It's a shame you can't temperament-test them like you can when you pick out a puppy!

My dwarf puffer is in completely fresh water... from what people have said you might want a back up plan in case you get an aggressive one, though.

*My connection failed and then posted this when I logged back on later*

Edited by NatureNut

Can I interject a word of warning here? I just recently got rid of three yo-yo loaches from a 23 gallon tank. While they definitely dealt with the snail population somewhat, they overwhelmed my bio-filter and caused tremendous spikes in my nitrATE levels. It was so bad that it killed my electric blue crayfish. They are also voracious fry eaters, as I discovered when my dwarf platy population literally exploded after I donated the loaches to a pet store.

The crayfish was much more effective at eliminating my snail problem than the loaches. The negative was that it was also very effective at eliminating all my plants and any platies that were dumb enough to get in its grasp.

I agree with my wife, if you want loaches, your best option is Y. sidthimunki.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, a little natural population control wouldn't be such a bad thing, since I have swordtails in my tank, and no real desire to keep the fry. What do the zebra and dwarf loaches usually go for in Calgary? And does anyone in Calgary breed either?