Bronze Cory babies!- Update

Fish_Frenzy

Well, the three bronze Cory babies that survived in the community tank are growing like weeds! They are already 1/2 the size of the adults in 5 weeks!

About March 21, the Corys spawned again and this time I removed some of the eggs to see if I could raise them. I removed about 50-60 eggs and put them in a container with a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide to keep the fungus away. Approx 4 days later they started to hatch and I removed some of the little guys to a small tank with an established sponge filter...should have left them alone. Out of the 12 I moved, only 4 made it and I removed them and put them back into the original container with an airstone. I then began 90% water changes, 2x a day and feeding better than brine as my cultures of microworms died...don't know why but oh well, they pig right out on the better than brine.

As of today, I have 45ish babies left, and all seem to be doing really well. I love seeing their little eyes and full bellies as the scurry around the container.

On a side note, my females that spawned are both Albino Corys and the males are the normal bronze/green color. Out of all the babies, only 1 is an Albino Cory...the rest are normal color. The albino really stands out against his brothers and sisters! I can't seem to get a good picture of them as I only have a phone camera right now.

A question I do have... How many times a day should I be feeding them? I feed 3-4 times a day (small amounts). I do water changes after every second feeding as I only have an airstone for circulation (no filter on this container) it is just a candy tub..unorthodox, I know, but it works and has a good amount of surface.

Once they grow a bit more, I will move them to a 2.5 g tank with an established sponge filter. While they are in this container I can really keep a good eye on them...and it is easier to do WC too.

Tammy

I was feeding tonight and I noticed 3 baby bronze cories swimming and scrounging for food just like the parents!

I am really surprised they lived as this is a community tank with 3 Clown loaches, 9 Bronze & Albino Cories, a Moonlight Gourami and 2 Bristlenose plecos!

Both females spawned last week and neither the clowns or the cories ate the eggs at first...had to be hundreds...then the eggs all gradually over the next few days, disappeared, so I thought they all got eaten. It was a pleasant surprise and they are soooo cute! Kinda nice something is going right...I herniated a disc this week and I am hurtin! This is the first time in days I can sit for 5 minutes to type this... :boxed:

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Yay on the babies! :thumbs: Amazing how little critters can brighten up your life. And good timing on their part. Hope your back heals quickly. Ouch! Take it easy & get well soon. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...