A late Hello!

farleyfish

Hello,

I know I joined the forum in 2006, but I never got a chance to say hello!

I inherited an old 76 gallon tank from my brother and set up a cichlid tank with 10 little fishies and 1 BN. Then, I got married, had a baby and had a small population explosion in the tank. (BTW, cleaning a tank while 8 months pregnant is a bit awkward...) I can't believe I'm going to admit to this, but I got attached to all the little baby fishes born in the tank! So, my bother had to convince me to sell the extras...for the good of the tank! A week later, he again convinced me to take his cichlids because he was moving and did not have room for his tank. Now, I don't know what to do with the new fish, so I logged onto Alberta aquatica and thought I'd ask!

So, where do I ask about my "new" fish set-up? They seem fine, but there is more chasing and missing fins....and how long does a fluval impeller last?

Thanks!

farleyfish

Hi and welcome!

I've never had cichlids other than angelfish, but there is a whole section of this board devoted to cichlids (scroll down a ways on the home page) and someone can surely help you there.

Re. cleaning the fishtank while 8mo pregnant - you'd think that if pregnant women aren't supposed to handle cat poo, there'd be some way you could convince your husband it also applied to fish poo... or not...

We would need to know what kind of cichlids, or a picture or 10.

Look up aquarium thumb I think it's called. There is a possibility of getting a bad infection if you fiddle in the waters and have any cuts and such. I would suspect though that nothing would happen to you and doubt it could be harmful to the baby.

Actually, cleaning the tank with a big belly was ok...just awkward. My hubby would leave the python for me and I'd be set. As far as I know, there are no dangerous parasites in fish water...unlike cat poo.

Hi and welcome!

I've never had cichlids other than angelfish, but there is a whole section of this board devoted to cichlids (scroll down a ways on the home page) and someone can surely help you there.

Re. cleaning the fishtank while 8mo pregnant - you'd think that if pregnant women aren't supposed to handle cat poo, there'd be some way you could convince your husband it also applied to fish poo... or not...

Should I put my list here or inthe cichlid area? The fish seem fine now....I put in some Melafix that week...maybe they needed to figure out who was 'top dog'. I need some fish IDs too....I'll try to take some pic tonight.

We would need to know what kind of cichlids, or a picture or 10.

Look up aquarium thumb I think it's called. There is a possibility of getting a bad infection if you fiddle in the waters and have any cuts and such. I would suspect though that nothing would happen to you and doubt it could be harmful to the baby.