New 90g Tank Set Up

happeboy

I have one last 90g to fill. I was thinking a species tank with something really pretty, best if both sexes look nice but could be dimorphic. I was thinking of a male only tank but am not sure of that idea.

Any stocking suggestions?

I would prefer fish I can find locally, preferably even off people from here. I have never ordered away, but if there is something unbelievable I would have to order I would consider it. They certainly do not have to be WC but I would like to know they are in the F1 to 5 range kinda thing.

No hybrids. I'm not keen of Strain breed either, IE many peacocks or weird mutants.

maby some mbunas would be nice, i know leon71 has f2 yellow labs but iam not sure if he has some right now you would have to pm him. some Pseudotropheus aceis would be nice with Labidochromis caeruleus or Maylandia estherae would look nice, or some albino socolofis, i find that they are very nice mbunas

maby some mbunas would be nice, i know leon71 has f2 yellow labs but iam not sure if he has some right now you would have to pm him. some Pseudotropheus aceis would be nice with Labidochromis caeruleus or Maylandia estherae would look nice, or some albino socolofis, i find that they are very nice mbunas

I already have labs and Acei out the ying yang, but they are nice. Maylandia estherae are nice too.

I was looking what one of our sponsors has for Malawi F1 and WC peacocks. Not that thats all im interested in but thats all I had time for then. Seem to be some nice ones. I have never kept peacocks.

I kinda want a show stopper though.

If you want to go with an all male tank you could add a few less aggressive haps to the mix. Protomelas steveni Taiwon Reef or protomelas spilonatus or protomelas taeniolatus(only 1 of these) + copadichromis borleyi or copadichromis mloto, or copadichromis azureus (1 of these also) + placidochromis phenochilus + otopharynx lithobates + mylochromis lateristriga. Stay away from the nimbochromis and try not to keep more than 1 species of aulonacara jacobfriebergi . Also try not to mix species with similar colors like mamela with maleri or undo reef or baenschi. Remember : life is like a tank of cichlids ... you never know what you're gonna get.

That would be impressive I think, but i think im off the idea of a male only tank for right now. I've heard they are hard to get the balance right (although you gave me a good idea) but even if you do you still get blow ups every once in a while.

But I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to say I like the mbuna idea. You can get many different types of species like the Ps. Demasoni, Ps. Salousi, cynotilapia afras, yellow labs, metriaclima msobos. I like the demasoni and salousi because the males and females both are very colorful. But try not to mix certain fish where the females are very similar looking to each other, then you might have some cross breeding on your hands. Right now in my 75 gallon all mbuna tank I have some ps. salousi, white labs, Ps. polits. Mbuna can vary from temperament and colorations. In a tank that size you can either stick with a bunch of dwarf mbuna or try different types of larger mbuna. Depending on the aggression level you will want in your tank will also be in for consideration as some species like the Metriaclima lombardoi are pretty, but highly aggressive, same with fish like the Melanochromis auratus. Cynotilapia tend to be on the more aggressive side towards themselves and other similar looking species. And of course if you are to be doing a tank with males and females, make sure to always have more females than males. The larger the group you have the more males you can have, for example, if you have 10 fish, you can pretty well get away with having 2 males and 8 females, though there will most likely be one male that totally doesn't color up due to subdominance. Hope this helps you out some, and good luck with them :) I do know of sources where you can get some of these fish in Calgary, so let me know if you want their names.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be having some F2 polit fry soon, and you should check with harold (fairdeal), he might have some F1's or 2's of some species. Also try looking at spencer's list, he often has some nice WC's and such. If you were to ever go with an all male tank I would suggest trying haps and peacocks, since with mbuna you most likely will not have them all color up. Or you can try mixing the 2 types together.