Who's the Culprit

maniac

I lost an Apisto. Caucatoid in my tank. There is no body or anything, it just simply disappeared.

Currently in the tank, there is a ram, an Apisto. Caucatoid, 4 cherry barbs, a pleco, and some malaysian trumpet snails. Do you know who the culprit is? It's been long enough since the last time I saw him to make sure that it wasn't hiding somewhere. Does anyone know what could've happened to it? I also checked around the tank to make sure it didn't jump out or anything.

They were living together for about 2 months without an issue.

How long has it been missing?

If its been a few days it could have died and then been eaten by the pleco and snails.

Are you sure you have looked everywhere in the tank? Moved around rocks and checked in plants? In the filters?

Yeah I figured it was hiding at first as it was still pretty little. Last time I saw him was prior to Easter Weekend and he was healthy but then after the weekend I didn't see him. So I waited a day and then started to move things around but still didn't show up. I don't have a lot of snails so I guess the Pleco must be to blame. Would they attack a live fish or does it have to be dead?

Sometimes Plecos will go after slow, large, round fish (like Goldfish or Silver Dollars), but I doubt it would go after a living Apist (they'd just be too small and too fast). Plus Plecos are scavengers, so if a dead fish was on the substrate, some bottomdwellers would be on the carcass pretty fast.

Is the intake valve to your filter wide enough for an Apisto to fit through? I have lost a few fish like that, actually caught a fish still alive with it's face torn up from the impeller, that was sad.