Never thought I'd see this...

duh duh duh

I picked up an absolutely beautiful male betta from Natures Corner Store today. Really pleased with his colouration and he added a lot to the colour dynamic of the tank - or so I thought.

I just went downstairs and 90% of his fins are gone and he has had the crap kicked out of him. I couldn't figure out who it would be.

The tank has:

14 neons

10 black neons

6 rasboras

1 cherry barb

2 male pineapple swords

5 female pineapple swords

5 female guppies

4 male guppies

2 raspbora red things

4 albino bristlenose

2 otocynclus

3 lemon tetras

2 platties

1 micky mouse platy

3 glowlight tetras

and of course, what is left of my betta.

When I introduced him he strutted around the tank and I watched for a good 15 minutes wanting to make sure he wouldn't tear apart the rest of my tank. No worries. In fact, it was really cool watching him go into the middle of some loose java moss, sit still, and then pop out to get some flake food floating by. He toured around the entire tank without worry.

It took me about 20 minutes now to figure out who was beating him up - of all things, it was a FEMALE pineapple sword! She was about his size but spends most of her day getting chased around by the somewhat smaller male pineapple swords - who left the betta alone!

I am absolutely flabergasted. If he makes it to tomorrow I'll put him into another set up because he is just that nice looking, but it will take months to get his fins back to what they were today.

I'm actually really choked about this. I thought this would be the final touch to my tank as the blue in the betta really brought out the blue in the neons and the guppies and was a nice contrast to the orange, yellows and red already in the tank (with fish), and the green of the plants.

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by duh duh duh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Barbs and Swords are never a good tank mate for a betta. Tetras for the most part will leave a betta alone.

I would not treat with Melafix, as there are reports of it being too harsh for labrynth fishes. You might want to try a product called Betta Revive by Hikari. I know for a fact the Play Pen Pets in Millwoods Towne Centre Mall carries it. $4. i use it for all fin problems and it works well. buy a couple of them, the package is small. it is a sulfa based med with methylene blue and malachite green, among other ingredients.

How big is this tank? seems to be a lot of fish in there already.

• 2 months later...