Betta laying down... getting worried

Kayen

Today as i replanted the tank as i found that most of the HC had been uprooted by the cory again >_>, i noticed that my betta isn't active as usual and was laying on the mossy patch on the driftwood, i'm getting slightly concerned. However at feeding he didn't eat as much as usual, with only a few flakes.

I'm thinking of moving him to his own bowl, which I'll leave beside the tank and i'll throw in some moss and a stem of hygro for him to rest on.

Any help?

Anything is appreciated.

I'm very new to fish keeping myself, but it seems to me that your idea of temporarily putting him in his own tank should be a good idea.

If he were mine, I think I'd use water from the tank he's used to, treat with Prime & Melafix, add some Epsom salt, and up the temperature to 78-80 F. Then keep fingers crossed! I also wouldn't feed for a day or two.

What are the ammonia & nitrate levels?

Good luck!

0, nitrate is around 10-15 ppm, but i let the plants worry about that.

But i'll need to find a suitable sized container.

Any suggestions?

Will have a ball of floating moss probably and plant a stem or 2 of hygro.

I should think an ice cream container would be just fine for a single sick betta. Or a glass gallon jar. My thinking is that the only difficulty will be keeping the water warm... you could possible have his container floating in the tank (if it'll fit).

I know bettas should do okay at room temperature, but if he's unwell I'd be inclined to pamper him. :rolleyes:

My room is a constant 75, and the ligh heats u pteh water ot about 79-80ish, so I'll keep his new home right beside the tank. I'm inclined to find a new permanent home for him, and add some shrimp to the planted tank, and crank up the filter flow.

He's more active now since i got home.

Took Henry's advice and double checked the temperature, too which it was only at 73. I upped it to 76.

On that note since i finally went to natures i picked up some duckweed, and some excel, but i lost my syringe =/.

• 4 weeks later...

"If he were mine, I think I'd use water from the tank he's used to, treat with Prime & Melafix, add some Epsom salt, and up the temperature to 78-80 F"

you do not need to add things like salt and melafix to a bettas water unless you are treating for a specific condition, disease, bacteria, etc. just use a good water conditioner. if he is not showing signs of any infection i would not medicate. i keep all my tanks at a near constant 80F and my finkids do great at that temp. i used to add salt, but much research says that it is not necessary and actually causes problems with the slime coat. since i removed the salt they are more active and seem happier.

I have heard from numerous sources that prime is not good to use in an unfiltered betta bowl, due to the ingredients, so if you are going to temporarily move him i would think about getting a different water conditioner (i use aquaplus and it works just fine in a bowl).

A good container for a betta bowl is the bue/green tinted oblong plastic "kritter keeper" by living world. Play Pen Pets in the Millwoods Towne Centre Mall has them, 1/2 gal to 2 gal (approx). not too expensive either, i think $17 bucks for the largest size. comes with vented, hinged lid. i use them for all my bettas and they work great. fit in the sink for cleaning too! the oblong shape gives for more room to swim back and forth.

I noticed you said your betta is eating flakes. might be best to do a bit of a diet switch/variation. my fish get betta pellets, freezedried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp. think of it this way: would you want to eat the same thing every day for your whole life? lol.

Just a question: Epsom salts? I have never heard of that for fish before... is that safe/common?

Epsoms work well.

I got him in one of those 1 gal triangle type tanks, not running a filter.

But i have lots of duckweed in there.(plenty of area to breathe still)

I've been keeping up on the water changes, as i notice his tail is well.. not doing to well.

I'll plant a few stems into that tank.

It's right beside the 2.5 so it gets ambient ligh

If he is suffering fin rot i would change your tank to bare bottom, it will be much easier to do 100% water changes, to keep the water super clean to aid in healing. use a glass candle holder or two (votive size-make sure you get all old wax out...lol), add gravel to that and plant your plants in it, my ludwigia does awesome in exactly this set up, but in a 10 gal with filter, and i don't even use any ferts, just 12 hr light.

the only time i ever had a problem with fin rot on any of my fish was when i had gravel in my bowls and it was more work to do w/c's, so i didn't do them as often..... i've learned a lot since then! :thumbs:

this stuff is pretty big, so using my mini diy gravel vac shouldn't be a problem.

I'm doing 50% every second day.

I prefer not doign 100% changes due to the fact o have to remove the fish, and that stresses him.