Getting into SW

Dalray

So i am keeping all my tanks FW, but now i am going to be getting into the SW as well.

Im not too sure, what to ask and im not too sure what to get. but i would like to start out with a 60 Gal or more.

what equipment should i use? what equipment is in your opinion best?

What are great starters? what kind of costs am i looking at. ?

I am the biggest pain in the butt on the forum for Q?'s some may be silly to you but it might help others down the road.

Any info. is greatly appreciated, and as always i thank you in advance.

You're best bet, and what I always do before even purchasing a fish, is to go to forums that specialize in what you want to do. For salt, I suggest you log in to Canreef.com and spend hours reading through their library material. Also reefcentral.com is extremely good. Everything you need to know you will find on these forums. They have extensive libraries broken down into very specific topics.

You're best bet, and what I always do before even purchasing a fish, is to go to forums that specialize in what you want to do. For salt, I suggest you log in to Canreef.com and spend hours reading through their library material. Also reefcentral.com is extremely good. Everything you need to know you will find on these forums. They have extensive libraries broken down into very specific topics.

I was going to say the same thing

research it alot I have been in it for a few yrs already and it's still a real learning experience but the is such a good reef group here to give advice.

First of all fill your empty tank with hundred dollar bills. Then take them all out of the tank and haul them out to the firepit. Light fire with bills. If that doesn't make you cry you are mentally prepared for the money pit that is saltwater. JK. Salt is a very rewarding journey. Good Luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I like you analogy bosshog...i have heard the same about SW but i am just starting into frshwater and it seems mostly the same for now!

yes I think that analogy about sums it up! lol

This hobby as well as any hobby can cost as much or as little as you want. No one says you have to have top of the line lighting equipement or a super skimmer etc, etc to make it work. Start out small and go slowly Do research The web has alot out there as well as other reefers that have experience talk to them, yes it can be a real learning curve but it is fun. Start with small frag corals it's alot cheaper and some clown fish. :welcome:

First of all fill your empty tank with hundred dollar bills. Then take them all out of the tank and haul them out to the firepit. Light fire with bills. If that doesn't make you cry you are mentally prepared for the money pit that is saltwater. JK. Salt is a very rewarding journey. Good Luck with it.

Reef tanks are like crack...just more expensive. You can get into saltwater in-expensively if you want, but I would say get the best equipment you can afford, because chances are you will just upgrade to better stuff later. I made that mistake, and am now getting rid of my cheaper goodies at less than half of what I paid for it. I would have been better off buying quality equipment to begin with.