Ghost shrimp.

Icewolf

I have recently found 1 baby ghost shrimp in my tank (5 gal) I have heard of some people having problems with them surviving. If anyone has any advice on how to keep them alive it would be greatly appreciated.

Just noticed 2 females with eggs so I am assuming there are more to come.

Congratulations. According to www.petshrimp.com American Glass Shrimp (ghost shrimp) go through a short planktonic stage before metamorphosing into small shrimp.

It is important that they have micro-food items, so older aquariums with lots of mulm and decomposing plant leaves on the ground are important to make sure microorganisms can be found in the water column. You could probably also do this with finely ground up fish food mixed with water (or First Bites and water). You will need to be careful though because that makes a mess real quick and won't work well if you have an filtration system on the tank (other than a sponge filter).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

As of tonight I have seen 6 new ghosts but none surfing the bottom yet. 1 female still carrying her eggs around. Should have enough to give them a fighting chance. I will keep you posted. I'm sure there are more than 6 but being the type they are it is very very difficult to see them.