Need Help Planning First Planted Tank

Slough Shark

At pisces here in calgary I saw some seachem black sand fluorite, very beautiful color. The bag we got was also seachem but it was the reddish brown type. I have heard alot of good things about natures corner in edmonton, so they might have the sand fluorite or other colors there too. And I also saw 2 different sizes at the stores here of laterite. But the smallest box cost about $20 and it wouldn't go very far in a 90 gallon, that's for sure. And you are very welcome :)

• 1 month later...
OK- take all the regular 'rules' of filtration and forget them for this tank (gasp, choke!). Keep in mind that the plants will be sucking up the NH3/NH4 (and NO2 and NO3), so you won't need nearly the same level of biological filtration (if any). The filter will be more useful for mechanical filtration and water flow. And you don't want too strong a water flow either. You shouldn't be needing charcoal, or any other chemical filtration. Ceramic rings (or whatever) with some coarse foam and fine floss should be sufficient.

If you do end up adding CO2 down the road, you don't want a really strong water flow. Surface agitation will allow your CO2 to escape into the air. ACs and other HOB filters aren't really recommended for this reason. Canisters are great since you can position the spray bar just under the water surface to create a slight ripple.

I think you should stick with the XP1. Spend the extra $40 on more plants, or a bag of Flourite, etc.

Would a Fluval 305 be overkill for a 55G planted tank then?? Would it be possible to get away with a smaller model (205 perhaps?)

Would a Fluval 305 be overkill for a 55G planted tank then?? Would it be possible to get away with a smaller model (205 perhaps?)

Depends on the quantity of plants and their growth rates. If you're thinking lower light and maybe a couple Anubias, java fern, and/or a few crypts, then stick with the larger filter. If the tank is going to be packed with fast growing plants which have plenty of light and CO2, then the 205 would be fine.

• 5 months later...

I didn't go through with this for my 30 Gallon tank (which turned out to be a River Tank again), but this is a real possibility for my 20 Gallon. Which would be easier anyways since it is much smaller. I have still have to get just about everything for it (lighting, filter, substrate, fish).

The substrate is still going to be the same, I want to use Flourite Dark.

For lighting I think that this would be good:

http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index.php?a...&detail=498

And for a filter:

http://www.current-usa.com/subcurrent.html

I was thinking of getting a 3D background for this tank, but since I want one for each of my bigger tanks, I decided against it ($$$). I think a willow or java moss wall would look fantastic instead. Here is also a list of some of the other plants I want:

Dwarf Hairgrass

Glossostigma

Moss Wall (Willow or Java Moss)

Riccia fluitans

Limnophila sessiliflora

Rotala sp. “Nanjenshan”

Blyxa sp.

Will the conditions be right for these plants? I will still be dosing with excel as well.

Lastly, the fish I am looking at will either be Threadfin or Dwarf Neon Rainbows, or a Dwarf Cichlid pair with tetras and cories.

Thanks for any more help,

Taylor

One issue would be using Excel with the Riccia- it's one of the plants that melts when exposed to it.

Also if you decide to go with CO2 addition in the future (instead of Excel), the filter may cause too much CO2 loss. Anything like a wet/dry or trickle filter that aerates the water and exposes it to the atmosphere will allow CO2 to escape.

Esthetically, you may want to choose some more broad leafed plants. The dainty moss, Riccia, Limnophila, and Rotala may need some contrasting leaf shapes to set them off.

Love the Fluorite Dark!

Thanks for the input Werner,

I can just scratch the Riccia then, it wasn't one of my must haves. I think I will stick to excel anyways, it isn't very costly to dose a 20 Gallon tank.

I forgot to add Java Fern to that list. Maybe Luwigia repens and Nymphaea Lotus as well, since you mentioned the lack of Broad-leaves.

Will one bag of Flourite Dark be enough for my tank?