Buying plants by mail order

michaelb

There is also thunderbay aquatics... Can't remember the website off hand - the ontario folks (usually organized on pricenetwork.ca) order from them regularly. Typical OA stock.

Ottawa aquatics and thunderbay are both expensive if you ask me - typical retail priced + shipping. I prefer to trade with friends to obtain new plants...

In reality, there really shouldn't be much NEED for mail ordering within canada, usually at least one of the local pet/fish stores carry the tropica line - thus they can get the majority of common/uncommon plants in the trade.

Andy

But who wants to pay what the stores want for their plants? I've seen the 'red flame' swords on US mail order lists for $5 each, yet at the places that do carry Tropica they're $20 each! Too much disparity for my liking. There are a number of plants, ie Glossostigman elatinoides, Echinodorus tenellus, Sagittaria subulata, that I've been looking for, and when I have found them all they are is old crappy looking plants that are all half dead, with prices ~$10 a bunch. Plus, quite a few of the nice plants that they carry are all potted, and everyone knows you pay a lot more just for the rockwool and pot (which you take them out of right away anyways).

If we'd like to turn this into a 'plants to trade' post, I've got Crypt. affinis, jungle vals, and regular vals to trade for any of the above mentioned plants (or any nice red swords or other red stem plants).

Depends on the retailer of course... They set their prices like everything. And you wont find too many plants sold outside of rockwool pots - since thats how they're grown/propagated. About the only exception there is pisces who do propagate some of their own plants.

Ask chloeclose and garhan about your wish list - I know I brought down everything on it when I split with the b*tch. And more.

Andy

the problem with Tropica plants sold in the stores , at least in Winnnipeg is that the retailer or supplier does not take specific orders. There are many plants in the Tropica line that I would like to get however when the local store here orders them they are sold to them in trays of assorted plants and it is normally the same plants over and over again. B.T.W all tropica potted plants in the Petland Stores in Wpg. sell for $9.99 regardless of type.

Rick

Yeah, pretty much everyone gets them from the same d(st)ealer... Unfortunately to order straight from tropica (and order specific plants) you need to be buying regularly in I believe it was 2000$ orders.

Thus most of the stores order from a dealer, who sells in smaller quantities as "Assorted plants" - no real choice.

10$ isn't really too bad of a price. I used to pay 10-25$ from my LPS for them (of course that's fort mchell pricing). Once you figure in shipping, and housing costs - that's not a huge profit for the store.

Andy

But at quite a few of the on-line retailers from the US you're able to get bunches of plants, such as crypts, for around $10 a bunch, or even $2 for single plants such as crypts and swords. I know that you're often able to get a couple plants in a pot, but there still isn't the choice of the exact types you'r always looking for.