Tetra deaths

Guppygirl

:cry: :( Talk about a rough two days. I lost all but one of my tetras(7neons and two black phantoms dead). Had them for close to 2years. :( My tank for some reason is deciding to cycle(ammonia spike, nitrite normal)-this after being steady for more then two years-thou I did move it three weeks ago when I moved to my new house. All water and gravel was moved with them, nothing changed, or so I thought. I do have a snail infestation (MTS). So it could be a die off and they are rotting. I did notice about two days before the deaths that the snails were near the surface of the water- I stupidly did not check the levels then and now am paying the price. I am so mad at myself. :mad: :boom: My cories and pleco are still okay it seems but maybe that is because they can go to the surface to breathe??? When watching this morning the two remaining neons were swimming okay it seemed, until in a blink of an eye one went from swimming to dead. I had never seen it happen so quickly. :shock: Fished it out-then decided to catch the last neon of my former tribe. Tough little bugger took me awhile but got him out. Water not safe so grabbed some water from one of my mature tanks to put him in-but decided to not put him into that tank for fear it carries something. So into my barb/red eye tetra(1) Q-tank plastic breeder he went, the barbs would have chased him and I think he is stressed enough. I did a 50% water change today, 30% last night. How much water is safe to change a day, at a time? I did add Stability, that stuff rocks.

You can change as much water as needed as long as the stats all match(temp, ph etc.). Some discus keepers change 50%+ a day. It will just prolong the time it takes the cycle to recover but will keep the fish from dying of ammonia poisoning. If you have other healthy tanks, add a used sponge or some gravel to help it along.

Sorry for your losses :(