EBJD's in Edmonton

BigA

Just to let everyone know, I was at PJ's pets in WEM today and in one of their tanks they had 5 baby EBJD's. About 2 inch's long. Nice shiny blue them. Looked healthy. They were expensive though. Not sure of the going rate for an EBJD, but they were charging $99/ea for them.

i was reading an article about electric blue jacks and it said that you could not mate them with other ebjd's, only other jack dempsy's

does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I think that what they meant was if you mate 2 EBJD's you get regular JD's. By mating with a regular JD you get fry with the recessive gene for the electric blue coloring. You then take a female from this spawn and mate it back with the father in order to get EBJD's.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold's Aquarium in Calgary has a few in stock now at $34.99 each. They are about 2" long. I was thinking of getting one but was told that they often grow up with deformities. Does anyone have any experience in that matter?

Gold's Aquarium in Calgary has a few in stock now at $34.99 each. They are about 2" long. I was thinking of getting one but was told that they often grow up with deformities. Does anyone have any experience in that matter?

I have had 2 of EBJD for about 6 months.

I love these little guys, but they are not hardy fish for sure!

They have NOT grown ( on NLS growth and brine shrimp)

When I feed them, I have to make sure they do eat as neither of them can see very well.

( thus the reason they are in my tetra & corydora tank at 6 months old)

Although very pretty, these little guys have been quite the worry and work...not to mention $$$$

As an animal health technologist with a background in genetics.. IMO I sure do understand why these little guys were culled! :blush:

• 1 month later...