How to get a pleco out of a log?

try pouring very salty water into the log where he's at. Maybe he doesn't like the salt and will let go?

or maybe try holding a lighter under the log to heat it up where his mouth is and he'll let go? that's probably a pretty sensitive area. just don't burn him.

I woulda thought just taking him outa the water would have done it. I had no idea they can suvive for hours out of water!?!??

so other than that I don't know.

Why don't we just poor straight salt on him. Or maybe poor gas on him and them use the lighter. What ever it takes , just don,t break the log. What ever works

Man some people...lol

If the algae is really bad and the pleco won't come out just try and scrub as much of the algae off the log without removing the pleco.

Put the log in a big bucket with tank water and scrub away and rinse with treated water. Then put it back in the tank. It wont sterilize the algae off but it will get the log clean.

Well I put in a chunk of zuchinni near the top and after a day he came out but when I lifted the lid off ....poof gone straight back to the same spot :boxed:

YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE A FEW NETS ALREADY IN PLACE..

SPECIFICALLY AROUND THE OPENING TO HIS HIDDING SPOT..

I guess once you've been through the experience of getting a fish lodged into a decoration, it's more amusing when it happens to someone else. We had a juvenile discus stuck in a plastic log. That was scary, we'd just bought the silly fish. Thankfully, by lifting the log out of the water and turning it this way and that, the fish just plopped out.

Of course, it wasn't "hanging on" in any way. I agree with the zucchini treats idea. I'm thinking that your pleco's suspension-above-a-bucket experience probably stressed him out pretty badly, and his natural reaction is to hold on for dear life until things start to calm down.

If this is all just to clean the log, then you probably have time to coax him out with some treats, and offer him a different type of shelter. Chances are, after his death-defying feats in the log, that might not be his favorite home anymore.