SCORE!!!

Boom

My old man has had an almost complete 400 gallon tank sitting in his basement for about 15 yrs - empty! When he built it, he only used 1/4" glass for the bottom, and it cracked on him. Instead of pulling the whole tank apart to replace it, he just put two halfs of 1/2" glass over top and siliconed to seal it. Well he was never able to get it to seal properly , it always leaked so he just gave up on it.

Now that I have my own house and room in the basement for it, he's giving me the glass to build it myself!!!

I'm getting the 3/4" plate glass front (8'x3'), and will try to salvage the sides and back, although they are adhered to walls so I'm not sure if I'll be successful on that. I'm also getting the glass he built in for the 2 corner overflows, the huge (55 gallon?) acrylic sump, which is full of bio-balls, and the hydroponic lights he has over it. I do finish carpentry and furniture building as a hobby so I'll build the stand and all the finish trim.

I will likely have a local company actually assemble the tank though, so I avoid the problems he had. I know he paid $600 just for the front piece of glass! I'M GETTING IT ALL FOR FREE!!!

Any suggestions on how to get the side and back glass off the walls?

Any thoughts on what I should stock it with?, I know a tank that size the possibilities are almost endless!

I have lots of time, My wife isn't in favor of any kind of tank bigger than what I already have. But give me time, I'll convince her!

Hmmm. maybe Jaguars?

Holy CRAP, that's a seriously lucky score for you! Good luck! I look forward to seeing pictures of the project as you work on it. :D

That's a great score for you!!! I would have to make a biotope with a tank that size. Either rays and silver aro (South American Biotope) or asian aro(s), clown loaches, and large barbs (Borneo Biotope).

Or you could go to the trouble of getting a permit for keeping native fish. It'd be a nice walleye tank!!!

Thanks guys. It will definitely be torn all apart to move it, all silicone removed, etc. My dad lives about an hour from Edmonton so I'll have to move the glass in my truck (carefully of coarse!).

It will be a while before I even get started on it I'm sure. (Probably a next winter project).

I was also thinking of doing a S/A Biotope setup in that tank. I'd like to keep some big fish (12" to 16" range) but still be able to have a nice variety. I guess I have lots of time for research.

And I will definitely post pics.