Yellow labs in a community tank?

Boom

I'm setting up a 20 gallon tank and was wondering what your thoughts on having 2 yellow labs in there would be? The other fish would be a group of cardinal tetras and probably a leopard frog pleco.

I'm aware of the different water requirement, but let's be honest, I'm just gonna use tap water and not mess around with buffering it up or down.

I'm also aware that yellow labs are a mbuna, but the least aggresive of them. They would start out as juvies and have pretty small mouths compared to other Malawi cichlid, and their not typically piscivorous. I could always move them out if they get too big.

So should they be o.k with cardinal tetras? Has anyone ever put them in this kinda tank?

Thanks.

I would also have to say get a larger group of cardinals, and try another peaceful type SA cichlid that won't grow larger than 5". Or you could have a small group of about 4 yellow labs in that size of tank without any other fish. They do grow quite large and they do better in groups because of their aggression. Another fish you could try in with yellow labs, but I suggest this in a larger tank, are giant danios. I have heard from many people keeping giant danios in african cichlid tanks, and have been fine with them. Don't worry so much on having to change pH or KH, I have all my SA cichlids in one tank, and africans in another with the exact same water parameters because I stick with my tap water. Or you could try for another type of more peaceful dwarf mbuna, though none come to mind that would do well in a tank that size either. Most africans are recommended to be kept in a tank size of about 4' long, or 45 gallons and up.

The labs will probably eat the cardinals, or they will atleast harrass them to death. I tired putting in some platies with my yellow labs and they were quickly killed and picked on.

You could do a trio of labs in a 20g but that might not work long term once they mature and want to breed. Even though labs are "peaceful" mbuna they are still fairly aggressive. Depending on the temperament of your specific fish it may or may not work.

For a 20g I would do a nice group of Shellies. I have a big breeding colony in my 20g of N. multies. They are great fun to watch and do well in smaller tanks.

Or if you want cardinals, stick with them and a pair of more appropriate cichlids like SA dwarfs.

Good thinking, rams are very nice, but they are pretty sensitive to poor water quality. The apistos can be hard to come by, but they are also a very nice fish to have that won't grow as large as the rams. They will definitely go great with the cardinals.

• 3 months later...

That's very true. All fish will have a different personality from the next, which will determine whether something is successful. I have only found that mild to aggressive CA/SA cichlids will work ok with africans, but mainly CA's being the better candidates. But as I have also found out, all experiments don't work out as well as we hoped.

Hey Ryan, What I would do is skip the labs I would not keep africans in a tank of that size, las are peacefull but in a 20 gallon tank they might get pushy to each other when they get larger.If you want to keep cichlids i would have a small planted tank with a few small blue rams. let us no what you decide to do :thumbs: