S. petricola

punman

Been trying to get my petricolas to spawn for a year. I have eight split between two tanks. I tried the pot method with marbles off and on for a week or two here and there. Have not tried that method for a couple of months. I have had these fish for three years. The other day, in my 45 gallon tank, where I have 5 petricolas, I saw three of them writhing madly under the edge of a rock where the sand had been removed. Meanwhile about three cichlids were getting their noses in there too. This went on for about three minutes but I could not see any eggs. Then it all calmed down. What was I seeing?

It could've been them spawning, or at least the starting of spawning behaviour. I witnessed mine spawn in a clump of floating java moss at the top of the tank one day, writhing around as a group. The cichlids were right in there too, but there were some eggs they missed in the java moss after I removed it and a couple fry survived. I'd say it's time to try the pot with marbles again.

When using the pot with marbles, are you taking it out at at least every other day and checking for eggs? I have a DIY top on my petricola tank, so the lights are raised about 4" off the glass, and it provides a perfect space to check for eggs on the glass cover. I carefully pick out the top layer of marbles one at a time until I can see eggs, and then if present put the marbles in the bottom of the pot into a fry tank.