Foods plecos like better than sword plants

Finbert

Zucchini seems to be everybody's guaranteed hit. Where do you find it this time of year? I didn't have plecos last fall, so I had no need for zuchs then, and now they're nowhere to be found. I also hate the idea of paying for something that you can't even give away when it's in season, but it's probably cheaper and easier to find than big, beautiful, established swords.

Also, do you feed the veggies cooked or raw? I tried giving some raw butternut squash and nobody touched it, not even the snails. (And I didn't try again with the cooked because (1) it was covered in brown sugar and olive oil, and (2) I ate it all up.)

Edited by Finbert

Zuchini is available at grocery stores year round. Its just super expensive in the winter. Thankfully the price is starting to come down now.

I usually freeze a bunch of pre cut pieces when they are in season and then I have some to use throughout the winter months. If I have fresh zuchini, I don't freeze or boil it to soften it. I just cut a chuck, stick a fork in it to weight it down and throw it in the tank.

Some other veggies to try are cucumbers, carrots(these I freeze to soften it a bit first), pumkin(I feed it after halloween). Pretty much any veggie and even some fruits that dont' get too messy can be fed. You might just have to experiment untill you find what your pleco likes.

If you have a garden just buy some zucchini seeds, plant just a few and you'll have enough to last you the winter!

I usually cut mine into chunks, steam for a minute then freeze (if you spread it out over a piece of plastic wrap in a long skinny line you'll be able to break it off a few pieces at a time). I've tried raw but my BN wouldn't touch it. I haven't tried other veggies yet but I've been meaning to try the carrots.

Really D? You just throw the whole fork in there? Aren't you scared they'll hurt themselves on the prongs?

Edited by EowynJane

Mine eat:

Papaya

Watermelon

Honeydew Melon

Sweet Potato

Zuchini and cucumber

The fruit is really popular once they figure out its for eating, I just put in a piece with some fruit still attached to the rind and it stays together pretty well.

Really D? You just throw the whole fork in there? Aren't you scared they'll hurt themselves on the prongs?

I actually have a piece of fishing line tied to the end of the fork so I can pull it out without sticking my hand in the tank. I dont' think it would be possible for them to hurt themselves on the fork. Forks aren't really sharp and it would take quite a lot of force for a fish to stab itself(LOL, try to picture that).

Thanks everybody, I guess I'll keep experimenting and hope I figure out what they like before I end up with lace plant lookalikes . And go through the old posts because there are lots fo tricks to try.