paint on a the glass of a tank

happeboy

A while back someone mentioned painting the glass on a tank and I am wondering now what kind of paint sticks to glass?

I want to paint the back black, as I am annoyed with the plastic background stuff.

A while back someone mentioned painting the glass on a tank and I am wondering now what kind of paint sticks to glass?

I want to paint the back black, as I am annoyed with the plastic background stuff.

I have used regular matt black spray paint from the hardware store and it works great. I'm not using paint anymore however as I find dark blue or black fabric in combination with velcro to be more practical. No mess and if I change my mind I just pull it off.

I use 100% acrylic latex paint, can be tinted to any color you want and if you change your mind it will peel off in one sheet.

Or you can buy the same paint with a primer right in the paint and it won't peel off. You will have to scrape it off.

BEHR premium plus kitchen & bath @ home depot $20.00 for a 858 ml can (will do 3 55gal tanks). Roll it on and let dry for 2 or 3 days. If you use the paint without primer in it don't let any sunlight or excess heat sources hit it or your hoses and cords will stick to it and peel the paint off when you move them.

Rona (and other paint stores) have started doing these little cans of "trial paint" for about $5 each. I painted my tank 'True Blue' from CIL and it took three coats for the 36x24 glass and there was still almost half a can left. Use a dollar store brush or roller (it doesn't have to be pretty, just 'coverage') and it's done for under $10.

Nice if you can get the top trim off the tank prior, to paint under it, otherwise paint seeps and runs up... but it's really not that noticeable in the long run.