Fresh Water Puffers?????

Well I picked up a Red Eye Puffer yesterday, he seems to be doing well. I put about 10 small snails in with him and gave him some brine shrimp. The store said they get pretty big, but everything I can find on them say they only get about 2", so I might pick up one more to put in with him today.

Thanks for all the help and info.

~~Ray~~

What kind of red eye puffer? Check out the link and i.d. the one you have. If it is of "target" group...they will kill each other. If it is c. lorteti...they may tolerate each other...but I have not seen c. lorteti in alberta in a long time.

Js

EDIT: No problem EOWYNJANE!

Edited by fatpuffer

It appears to be Carinotetraodon irrubesco, light brown body, with a few speckles and one larger round dot near the back tail. I will try and get a picture to post up soon. He's way more active at night though. I woke up this morning and I could see lines in the sand from him. Pretty cool little guy.

~~Ray~~

Where did you get an irrubesco? It has been awhile since I've seen them. I bought 6 from Riverfront and sold them off a few months ago. They can get along with conspecific but make sure you provide lots of hiding areas and break the line of sight with plastic or real plants. Did you get males or females? They are ver distinctive...you can go to the same link and it will tell you how to tell the sex.

Post some pics!

Jonah

That is not an irrubesco. That is a fang's puffer. T. conchinchinensis. Does it have a red spot near the tail? IF so, it is fang's puffer. If its green-ish...then t. turgidus.

Check the pufferpedia for those two.

Jonah

P.S. DONT add anymore as they are highly aggressive with conspecific!