Heater Problem

gotgill

Hello,

Ok I think I have a heater that is on the outs, its not very old, 2 years max, but it doesn't seem to be shutting off. It is in my shrimp tank set at 24 but at but the water temp got up to 32 and it was still on, I got home just in time, everybody survived. My first question is can I try anything to fix it? My other question is if not what are other peoples opinions of the best heaters out there. I don't want to say what kind of heater I have because I might just have got a bad one and I don't want to effect anybodies opinions on what I should do or buy. I do know I don't want to risk my tanks and they all have the same brand of heaters in them right now.

Thanks so much, hopefully I posted this in the right place!

I would have to guess that your talking about a submersible type. Im pretty new but looking at old posts on all kinds of sights id say that Ebo Jager heaters are the best submersible type out there. Since they are a sealed unit, I dont think submersible heaters can be fixed.

Some vendors have lifetime warranties. They usually replace them by an RMA process. You need to check the packaging for your brand.

Personally, I like Marineland's Visi-Therm Deluxe line of heaters. I've found them to be very reliable. Don't have any experience with Eheim Jager (Eheim bought the Ebo Jager line recently). I've also used PetSmart's Topfin line, but they usually only work best at tropical temperatures (I keep a lot of cool water tanks). PetSmart replaces their heaters over the counter (with receipt).

That being said, I don't use a heater in my cherry shrimp tank. I keep my colony in a 5.5 gallon tank and found that there was absolutely no brand of heater I could rely on to keep a stable temperature in the tank. My colony has thrived without a heater - at room temperature - for over a year now.