Wet skimming vs. Dry skimming???

IME, wet skimming seems to get rid of junk faster; however, it's removing more water from your system - you'd need more top ups and WCs.

I think it all depends on what you want out of the skimmer. Some believe that wet skimming will pull out more junk in a shorter period of time. I have also heard that too much wet skimming could possibly take minerals out of your system but not seen any facts to substantiate that. Dry skimming tends to pull out much darker crud, but takes a longer time for it to accumulate in your cup. There are positives for either way.

I usually wet skim, but if I am going to be away I turn the skimmer to dry skim so there is less chance of an overflow (I have no sump so I am cautious). If you take this question over to canreef you are bound to get more opinions from some much more experienced reefers than me.

I usually wet skim, but if I am going to be away I turn the skimmer to dry skim so there is less chance of an overflow (I have no sump so I am cautious). If you take this question over to canreef you are bound to get more opinions from some much more experienced reefers than me.

does you skimmer have a little plug thats blocked off for a hose? if so drill it out and make a snorkle out of ridged tubbing to just below the height of the cup lid then add a hose to the nipple on the bottom to go back to tank. So if the cup will fill but when it get near the top it will go down the overflow(snorkle) back into the tank so none hits the floor

• 1 month later...