My cichlids have been breeding..

White Out

Im just curious how rare it is to get several generations over 10 years to breed without trying to get them to breed. is this a fairly flukey circumstance or was it bound to happen? I have quite a mix of african cichlids, yellows, some blue dudes, etc.. lol i totally forgot their names years ago. Anyways the yellows from around 6 years ago started having kids, the parents have died now but their young are now grown up and in charge of the tank. its quite cool :)

I would say bound to happen. Africans tend to just multiply without much work on your part. Mine are forever breeding (labs, dolphins, and venustus). I have never had a problems but understand that you should be aware of cross-breeding with cichlids.

I tend to not try to force them to breed, they all do it when they are ready. If the circumstances are right, they will breed like crazy. Depending on how long someone keeps their fish for, and the fry from them, will depend on how many people run into that situation. I myself have not been keeping africans long enough for that to happen, but I am sure those that have been keeping them for years are in that boat. It is cool to see how all the generations will turn out :)