Pumps

Rainmaker69

I am currently trying to build a pumping system to make my waterchabge life easier. I am planning to use a food safe plastic 45 galllon drum to mix and hold water and then pump it through a manifold system to the tanks. My question is, would there be any problems with using a sump type pump to do this? I need to lift the water 6 feet and a pond pump suitable to do this is over 200 bucks at the LFS while a submersible utility pump at Princess Auto is 86 bucks. Would there be any problems with oil leakage or other problem that you guys could see?

Could you somehow plumb the pumb outside of the sump so that it draws the water?

My father in law created a huge filter for his outdoor pond with a pump that draws the water through the system without actually sitting in it.

I use a STAR centrifrugal pump (model HPP360) that takes standard garden hose connections, draws 1.75 amps and moves 360 gallons per hour (optimum Rate). It takes about 10 minutes to pump out a full 55 U.S. gallon drum. I use mine to pump the water out of the tanks and also into the tanks. I use quick connects to swap hoses (different ones for pumping out versus pumping in). NOTE: If you use METAL quick connects wrap them in foam so you don't break a front pane of glass on one of your tanks (which is what I almost did). It takes me a little over one hour to do a 15% water change on 25 tanks. This includes filling and treating the water barrel with chemical (Prime), pumping out 25 tanks and dipping the hose end into a pail of hot water and bleach after pumping out of each tank and pumping the water in after I've completed the pump outs. I bought a pair of brass, ball valve, splitters from Lee Valley and installed them on the hot and cold washing machine taps and hooked each side up to a two to one washing machine hose with a quick connect so I can hook my long hose to it for filling my water barrel. Sorry! forgot to mention the pump was $100 at Canadian Tire and comes with a one year warranty.

There are lots of different and unique ways of doing water changes. One of the systems I had built out of 1/2" PVC is actually gravity feed from the tank to the pit. Once it is all plumbed in and precharged, you never have to create the syphon again. If you loose the syphon effect, then simply reverse the system by pumping water back to the tanks via the system with either a pump or directly from city water supply using that pressure system.

Also to do simply water chandes it is easy to install the lawn gardening systems (personal favorite). Even with a small pump lifting water 6 plus feet through a 1/4" or 1/8" line is easy. This displaces slowly back to your tanks and the system is set on a timer. You can do this once, twice, or even thrice a day. The sprinkler heads are adjustable to displace from 1-10 gallons / hour.

You do need to build over flows for your tanks or drill tanks to fit over flow system that go back to the tank. I will post a few pics of my water change gravity feed system and the over flow system.

Pic is Over Flow Device made from Lee's Containers and 3/4" PVC fittings and hose from Home Depot.

post-29-1108839414

Edited by Garhan

Water Exchange System

I used to maintain 4 x 10 gallon tanks per shelf, but I have half the system shut down currently. It still should give you an idea of what is going on. I used to do on 12 tanks a 20-40% W/C in 20 minutes.

I would also set it up alittle different next time to reduce the redundance. Still have the gravity exchanger, but for me it would run of hoses instead of PVC tubing in some of the areas.

post-29-1108840954

Edited by Garhan

Garhan, that is a fantastic setup you have there. Mine is more modest, only 4 tanks, so I will probably go with the sump pump. I am tired of lifting 5 gallon buckets up to eye level and trying to pour slow so I just want something to put the water into the tank. I will still remove the water with my gravel syphon as I do not have my substrate jets built, yet.