skinny discus

TONKA BEAR

i took 1 discus out of my mothers tank because he/she is very pale and very paper thin but she is still eating and her poop is not clear, breathing fine and is not hiding i have also been treating he/she with metronizadole for 1 week now but no change any ideas??? what this could be ie: she is so skinny i can she right through and she all the bones help!!

Sounds to me like she is on the bottom of the pecking order. How many Discus are in the tank? How big are they? Water temp? Water parameters?

Tammy

there were 6 of them but now it's only the 1 pair water temp is at 81 she used to be 1 of the biggest in the tank the others were 1/2 her size

I would start with a big water change, and slowly raise the temp to 84F-86F. What other fish are in the tank besides Discus? Tank size? Discus need to be in a group when they are small. Some even need to be in a group when they are large (I have a pair I tried to seperate to breed and they started going downhill until I put them back with their group.) Temp is too low for Discus also.

Are they eating? What are you feeding them? Sorry about all the questions...just trying to narrow the problem down a bit.

Tammy

I just returned from a 3 day trek in the states, but i had a friend feeding my discus. When i got home last night all the discus had lost color and werent eating properly. But for some reason i sat at my 230 for about 15 minutes, and they seemed to liven up and gain color. I woke up this morning and they have regained full color and are swimming and eating like mad.

Could it be a possibility that the single discus is lonely? It seemed like when mine were like that they prob missed me and felt neglected. This mihgt be a possible outcome. for you. Sorry just my 2 cents.

I just returned from a 3 day trek in the states, but i had a friend feeding my discus. When i got home last night all the discus had lost color and werent eating properly. But for some reason i sat at my 230 for about 15 minutes, and they seemed to liven up and gain color. I woke up this morning and they have regained full color and are swimming and eating like mad.

Could it be a possibility that the single discus is lonely? It seemed like when mine were like that they prob missed me and felt neglected. This mihgt be a possible outcome. for you. Sorry just my 2 cents.

definately nott lonely as i am in there every day looking at them

I would start with a big water change, and slowly raise the temp to 84F-86F. What other fish are in the tank besides Discus? Tank size? Discus need to be in a group when they are small. Some even need to be in a group when they are large (I have a pair I tried to seperate to breed and they started going downhill until I put them back with their group.) Temp is too low for Discus also.

Are they eating? What are you feeding them? Sorry about all the questions...just trying to narrow the problem down a bit.

Tammy

she was in a group of 6 then i took her into my 35 gal tank to see if i could nurse her back in the tank with her is 1 betta 1 cichlid (not sure what he is) though very peaceful 2 catfish and just reciently i put in the discus that we bought with her same kind not sure if either is male or female i have benn doing large water changes weekly and feeding her 3 times per day blood worms with metronidazole freeze dried blood worms and flakes she seems to onlypeck at the fresh blood worms i will try to post pics of her

Get a Photobucket account and link your pics to the forum

Sorry to hear that. Well my suggestion for next time, is to keep the temp like tammy said at around 84-86 degrees. I would also try and feed them more of a mixed diet like tetramin, NLS discus formula, spirulina, etc. I always try and feed my discus bloodworms only once or twice a week. And of course like others have said, keep them in groups of about 6, which means I would try and get a tank around 90 gallons and have it for them and you can try others with them like rams or dither fish like cardinal tetras. I have found that sometimes it was not my fault for them dying to begin with. I have found that certain stores I buy them from can be another thing as well. And always try to have ones in the group that are around the same size. For example in my tank I have 8 discus, where I have 2 small, 4 medium and 2 large discus. This allows for there to be less of a chance of only one getting picked on. I wish you luck with them, they are definitely beautiful fish to keep.