compressiceps and calvus questions

stribbelldk

Hey all,

I am thinking of buying either some Gold Head compressiceps or some Black Calvus cichlids. They are wild caught, so they are kinda pricey. Not a thing I want to jump into completely un-informed.

Some of my questions are:

1. Are they compatible with electric yellow, electric blue and red empress cichlids?

2. Are the water perameters compatible?

3. Is there special care for them and the fry?

4. One a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being easy 10 being hard, how hard are these guys to keep in a aquarium?

5. Same scale, how hard are these guy to breed and care for the fry?

6. How can one sex these fish?

7. Is there any local breeders already that you know of?

8. Is there going to be any intrest if I were to successfully breed these?

9. Any suggestions on either of these?

Any other information on these fish would be of great help in making this choice.

Thanks

Derek

Check here Derek: Comps

and Here: Calvus

Hey all,

I am thinking of buying either some Gold Head compressiceps or some Black Calvus cichlids. They are wild caught, so they are kinda pricey. Not a thing I want to jump into completely un-informed.

1. Are they compatible with electric yellow, electric blue and red empress cichlids?

4. One a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being easy 10 being hard, how hard are these guys to keep in a aquarium?

Any other information on these fish would be of great help in making this choice.

Thanks

Derek

Hey all,

Thanks

Derek

Hopefully some answers to your questions:

1. I have my compressips in with peacocks, a kadango, electric blue along with other miscellaneous africans and they are doing fine.

2. water parameters are compatible

3. I've read that the females need a shell or a cave that they can get into but the male can't.

4. They are probably about the same as other african cichlids. Keep up with the water changes and make sure your tank is cycled before adding them.

6. size, the males are going to be bigger.

8. probably yes, the calvuses I had at the auction went for a decent price.

9. go for what you like, I've had both and decided to go with the compressips.

Raymond

There are some breeders on this forum that have goldheads and calvus. Black seem a little harder to find. The males have a taller top fin than the females and will be bigger. I have had many types of alto's and they are great fish. I find them a little boring to watch compared to others though. They also seem to be a little fragile at a young age, just m2c.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of Black calvus and love them. I just got myself a wild caught Goldhead Compressiceps today. He's full grown and beautiful! They are all in my all male peacock / hap/ mbuna / tang. tank.

I havn't bred them but research suggests they are fairly secretive breeders and you may not even know it's going on. The female does require a small cave or shell that she can fit in but the male cannot. They are not as active as other africans, but I think they're very cool fish and well worth keeping. Shop around for deals on them, they are out there, especially from breeders. I personally would not spend $100 on a single fish, but maybe that's just me.

I know many people mix the two lakes with good results. But consider that comps and calvus are probably the least aggressive of the tangs. They are considered shy by cichlid standards and unless they are a comparable size to your malawis they will likely be reclusive. Oh and if you do get some, dont mix comps and calvus...there is a chance they can inter-breed.

Edited by fishytime

I know many people mix the two lakes with good results. But consider that comps and calvus are probably the least aggressive of the tangs. They are considered shy by cichlid standards and unless they are a comparable size to your malawis they will likely be reclusive. Oh and if you do get some, dont mix comps and calvus...there is a chance they can inter-breed.

I keep inkspot Calvus, Black Calvus, and Gold Head Comps.

My Blacks are full grown, the Inkspots are about 2 inches and the gold Heads are an inch right now.

They are in a large tank with other Tangs and Malawis.

I have found that the Black F2 or 3's are very shy and like to hide alot, slow to eat, and easily bullied.

My other two strains are wild caughts and they run the tank. I have seen them take scales off of my adult peacocks and yellows to protect their territory. Tiny fish with big attitude.

I love keeping them, as they are really unique in behavior and attitude. You really should provide them with some caves, shells, and condos though.