Alternative pond fish

I'm planning to build a waterfall/pond combo next year. I have the perfect landscape set-up with a fairly steep up slope in front of my back fence. I'm planning on using a Laguna 50gal spillway on top of the hill draining into the waterfall and then into a 250gal main pond at the bottom. None of these tropical or koi types of fish for me, get this....I know a guy who can get me trout. I'm planning on 2 or 3 six inch rainbow trout fingerlings. This guy I speak of has a 150gal aquarium set up 1 year ago with 2 rainbows in his basement and they're doing great. I don't see much of a problem keeping them in a natural setting outdoors.

Trout are becoming fairly popular. I know a number of places are stocking with rainbow trout, they survive our winters with few problems. They don't seem as prone to low O2 levels as goldfish, koi, or even perch.

Some people enjoy the fall fish fry...

Actually rainbow trout do need fairly high O2 levels. My proposed system will have a healthy flow of water to simulate a stream setting. An ideal species for a lower flow set-up would be a brown trout. They are more tolerant of warmer, less oxygenated water. I just don't know and don't think they are as available as rainbows.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic