Alternative pond fish

Outdoor pond season has arrived. For some of you, your thoughts go to goldfish and koi. There are options. I like to make my ponds like a community tank.

These are some of the fish I have kept in my outdoor pond (not overwintered):

Koi

Common Goldfish

Comet Goldfish

Rosy Barb (Barbus conchonius)

Weather Loach (Misgurnus angullicaudatus)

White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichtys albonubes)

Zebra Danio (Brachydanio rerio)

Common Hypostomus (brought in when water temperature dropping under 60 F)

Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) (brought in ~60 F)

Western Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida australis)

Rosy Red Minnow

Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis)

All brought in beginning of September or water temperature staying in low 50's.

Others I have heard can be out but haven't tried:

Gold Barb (Barbus schuberti)

Green Barb (Barbus semifasciolatus)

Pearl Danio (Brachydanio albolineatus)

What others have people had success with?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any SA fish that comes from higher altitudes will do fine - maybe even now! Some Apistos, Geos, Gymnos, Corys. etc. will probably love being outdoors for the summer. Catching them come fall may be tough, tho.

Any SA fish that comes from higher altitudes will do fine - maybe even now! Some Apistos, Geos, Gymnos, Corys. etc. will probably love being outdoors for the summer. Catching them come fall may be tough, tho.

If I ever set up another pond, I'll have to look into trying some of those!

Oh yeah, I have also kept betta fish in my ponds.Multiple males and females. Usually end up with plenty of extras come fall.

That's neat! I have only tried 1 in an indoor pond.

How many males and females did you have and in what size of pond? What temperature range did you have? How did their fins stand up to the cooler temperatures (fin rot) and competitors?

I threw in 3 males and 3 females.All veiltails. These were goldfish in there as well. I did not do anything special for them or worry about temps. It was one of those preformed 125 gallon ponds. By fall when I removed them there were about 50 bettas. They all looked healthy.

I read that axolotls do quite well in outdoor ponds, because they prefer cooler water. (After seeing them at the auction, I became smitten and did a bunch of reading) Not sure they'd be a good community critter though, because they have big wide hungry mouths.

I read that axolotls do quite well in outdoor ponds, because they prefer cooler water. (After seeing them at the auction, I became smitten and did a bunch of reading) Not sure they'd be a good community critter though, because they have big wide hungry mouths.

It is too bad that they are such indiscriminating eaters! They would otherwise be great to keep the populations under control.

Fascinating creature!!

It is too bad that they are such indiscriminating eaters! They would otherwise be great to keep the populations under control.

Fascinating creature!!

That they are. Not only are they fascinating, but they are very smart and incredibly good hunters. Best kept at 15 C, however.

Edited by FrogFan23

I put around 50 feeder guppies outside in a 150 gal trough around 6 weeks ago Just checked on them this morning had to move the 2 inches of duckweed floating on top but they are alive and well even saw some baby's in there, and it hasn't been that warm latley