Fahaka puffer

bignose

:welcome:

Hello,

I'm new to this site and would like to say hello.

My first thread will be about my puffer fish. It is a Fahaka about 5-6" that I've had for about 4 months now.

I have a couple topics to talk about:

1. I am going to buy it a new home and was wondering about its habitat.

It`s in a 55 gallon tank right now. It`s ok for now but I want to get it into a large enough tank. I was going to go with a sand bottom, but I have never dealt with sand in a freshwater tank.

How do you clean the sand without loosing it during the weekly clean.

2. Man is this fish ever lazy. Does anyone here have any experience with them.

I bumped up the temperature to 80F. I read on another site that it makes them more active, but not to mine.

Anyways, I hope to hear from everyone.

Thanks, bignose.

Edited by bignose

Fahakas are hit and miss when it comes to activity. Some are very active and personable, others lurks around. I think the longer you are with your puffer, the more it becomes accustomed to you as the "food giver" and becomes more personable. Maybe a bigger tank will also work as (in my opinion) the tank it is currently is already too small. They are messy fish.

here is a link on fahaka: http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php...ter/T_Lineatus/

Js

I fed it Kirill, feeder Minnows and goldfish. Recently I have been feeding scallops, and prawns.

Yeah it is a small tank for the fish.

I'm currently on the market for a 90G or larger. That should help out for the puffer.

After I get the new tank I'm gonna convert the 55G into a reef tank.

I'm new into the SW thing with a 10G nano. I figured with the extra tank why not!

I'm looking for the components for the 55 convertion and the bigger tank right now.

One questions about the coloration. The pics that I always see on the internet show nice dark striped puffers.

Mine has lighter colored stripes. Do the stripes get darker with age?

Edited by bignose

Don't feed it any goldfish. Feeders may carry disease and I've read that they may cause fatty liver. As for the colouration, I've heard that substrate colour makes a difference in their colouration. I think darker substrate makes the stripes stand out more.

Js

I'm going to buy his new home today!

Should I go with substrate? I was tinking about it because it looks better.

But, I heard it a pain to clean. Unlike rocks with you can vacum I have no idea how to clean subst.

Don't feed it any goldfish. Feeders may carry disease and I've read that they may cause fatty liver. As for the colouration, I've heard that substrate colour makes a difference in their colouration. I think darker substrate makes the stripes stand out more.

Js

• 4 weeks later...

A ninety gallon won't cut it either for the life of your Fahaka. I'm sure you probably already know this. If you do go with sand, then just go with a courser grain and then cleaning it will pretty much be like cleaning gravel, nothing to it. As for coloration use as natural a tone as possible and your Fahaka will adjust and stableize to his true colors. With these fish is is very easy to stunt their growth if they are in too small of a home, so keep that in mind.