Scratch or Not??

malawi_luver

Hey Yall I am planning to assemble a 55 gallon hoping to be finished in around September but I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to start with the tank and light then just to buy a kit... I was also thinking of a all mbuna tank because I want to overcrowd... ok well here is what I was thinking

Scratch:

55 gallon tank & lights (fluorescent) - 150.00$

Sand (play sand) & Decorations (slate) - 50$ - 100$

Filter - Don’t Know (help me)

Heater - Don’t Know (help me)

Pump - Elite 14$

Background - Black paint 10$

Around 500$ in all...

The Kit (250$)Comes With:

55 gallon with lights

Filter - Aqua Clear 500

Heater - 200 watt

Air Tubing

Food

Water Conditioner

Net

thermometer

Could you also tell me which kind of mbuna I could put in this tank and what are my options... I would want some more aggressive types not yellow labs or aceis.

Which is the Way to Go???

malawi_luver :ph43r:

I always like buying my equipement seperate as i feel the Kits come with less then the best quality stuff.

I would buy it all seperate

As for Filters i really like the aqua clears. I have a AC 500 and a AC 300 on my 90g mbuna tank with a powerhead for extra movement. SO since you are getting a 55g i would maybe go for 2 AC 300 or 1 AC 500. The 2 AC 300 would be the best as it will give you more flow and more space to put media.Plus you can clean one filter at a time without worrying about killing the bacteria.

As for heaters i have switched over to mostly Ebojager. They are reliable and good quality. I would maybe get a 200w for a 55g(i have a 200w on my 58g).

I also never use airpumps and bubble wands. If you are jsut wanting extra water movement then i woudl suggest a powerhead instead. But if yo ulike the look of bubbles its fine also.

AS for what Mbuna you want have you checked through some species profiles? DO you want aggresive or not so aggresive? What species have caught your eye?

Well thanx alot degrassi but i have kept both but i would like to overstock properlly(spelling) but i have a list where a reliable breeder in winnipeg has been breeding cichlids for a while and would like to order from him and i am also going to go to LFS's to pick up some others...

Pseudotropheus "Polit" 1-1.5" $8ea

Placidochrimis Electra Superior II 1-2" $8ea

Cynotilapia "Jalo Reef" 1-2" $5ea or 10 for $45

Astatotilapia Calliptera 1-2" $5ea or 10 for $40

Idotroopheus Sprengerae "Rusty" 1-2" $5ea or 10 for $40

Aulonocara "German Red" 1-2" $5ea or 10 for $40

Aulonocara "Cobwe" 1" $5ea

Aulonocara "Gold Peacock" 1-2.5" $5ea or 10 for $40

Protomelas Taeniolatus "Red Empress" 1-1.5" $5ea or 10 for $40

Metraclima Estherae "Red Zebra" 1-2" $4ea or 10 for $35

Pseudotropheus "Heteropictus" 1" $5ea or 10 for $40

Pseudotropheus "Hajomaylandi" 1-2" $5ea

Melanochromis "Auratus" 1-2" $4ea

i was thinking

6 polits (2 m 4 female)

6 jalo reef

6 heteropictus

6 hayjomaylandi

i have got all of these prices from fordsfantasticfish.com

but have a bigger list from all of my sources and other breeders :D but this one personally is my best breeder :ph43r:

Check this out for more recommended species mixes....lots of variances you can do with these as well, just run it by us here and we will help you out...

Cichlid-Forum's 55 Gallon Cookie Cutter Setup

And as for getting fish, have you tried "fishboy" yet? With 3000 fry, and coming to a gymnasium floor near you in the next couple of weeks, you might be able to save a bundle in shipping fees.

Although this link is on buying fry, he does have lots of stock to sell...

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...p?showtopic=104

Not that Ford isn't s good guy to go with. I have personally seen some of his fish, and he has great quality.... :D

Best of luck,

Dunl