questions on care of Anabantoid fry

gobies et al

I am on day 5 post spawning - the fry are free swimming - both parents removed - I plan to feed use green water and liquid fry food to start - this is my 1 st spawn of bubble nesters and haven't encountered these situations before

I have been keeping a light on over the tank since spawning. When do I go back to usual lighting 12 on 12 off? It is a heavily planted 10 gal. tank and the BB algae is growing ++.

There is still a BN pleco ~2.5" in the tank. Leave him?

I have 1/2 grown (?) Cherry shrimp in another tank (the moms were red, they aren't), should I combine the shrimp and the fry? Now? Wait? (I consider the shrimp expendable)

I haven't had filtration on as the nest seemed too fragile. I have a corner sponge filter in the shrimp tank and a small HOB (I could cover the intake with sponge) that has been turned off. When to resume filtration? There is a trace of nitrites present.

When I was raising Betta splendens I had a heavily planted 10 gal w. a corner box filter, and did 50% WCs twice a week. I fed liquid fry food when I didn't have microworms. There are all kinds of yummies in the tank for the fry.

It's best to cull the smallest and deformed as you go along.

As for tankmates, the BN is fine. THe cherries might be OK too - definitely small CS will be great. They'll help eat up any extra food.

Thanks for the information.

I will plan on moving the shrimp in with the fry as soon as the nitrites drop. It should help that the Paradise male and the Spotted Rafael (both ~4") are out of the tank plus doing ~ 2 gallon wc adding green water daily.

When I was raising Betta splendens I had a heavily planted 10 gal w. a corner box filter, and did 50% WCs twice a week. I fed liquid fry food when I didn't have microworms. There are all kinds of yummies in the tank for the fry.

It's best to cull the smallest and deformed as you go along.

As for tankmates, the BN is fine. THe cherries might be OK too - definitely small CS will be great. They'll help eat up any extra food.

Edited by gobies et al