yellow electric cichlids scared?

my aunt gave me about 10 of her yellow electric cichlids to start off my 70gallon tank, and ive noticed that they always hide in the tank when i walk by, they are never swimming around. i try to watch them because i find watching fish is relaxing, and they are always hiding when im there? is this normal? i wonder if they think im ugly?!?! lol jk!

this is what they looked like the first two days (they were active and sorta swimming around)

but now all they do is hide in the cracks and rocks??

(note: i removed the guppies from the tank and put them in another tank i have)

Edited by aquaticapinoy

How long have they been in there? They may still be getting used to the surroundings. Do they hide all the time or just when u walk by? Try sitting out of sight of them and watch for a good 20 minutes or so. Do they come out?

Also, they may have found the guppies comforting to be in there. Often smaller fish are used as dither fish. i.e. fish that let them realize that there is no danger around. I use tetra's and Giant danio's in with my Jack dempsey and firemouth tank. Before the dither fish were in there, the Dempsey and Firemouth would hide alot, now they are always out.

They may also hide if they don't like the water conditions. What are your pH, hardness, temp., nitrite, nitrate readings? What substrate do you have? Decor?

so far, the temps have been stable at 23–26 °C (76–78 °F). and i only have a ammonia/ph reader, and right now its very very close to zero, and the ph looks to be 7.6-7.8. i don't have a nitrate nitrite reader, but i think i'll pick one up today... also i did notice that late at night when its dark.. and i walk into the room and turn on the lights.. they are swimming around, but then they immediately run and hide..

and i don't think i'll be putting my guppies in the tank, because i bought 10 guppies and now im down to 6 (3 went missing"eatten probably", 1 got stuck in the filter tube)

Edited by aquaticapinoy

Guppies are probably too small for the labs and they probably ate them. You can however use other larger tetras as dithers. Cardinals are supposed to do well too, but don't get them too small, I would try ordering from a spencer jacks order (xtra large wild caught) on a group order. I think they labs are just getting used to their new home. I know that the tank my labs are in, is out of area where we usually are, so they are not used to a bunch of people coming in. They will also run and hide. It may take some time for them to get used to you.

Guppies are probably too small for the labs and they probably ate them. You can however use other larger tetras as dithers. Cardinals are supposed to do well too, but don't get them too small, I would try ordering from a spencer jacks order (xtra large wild caught) on a group order. I think they labs are just getting used to their new home. I know that the tank my labs are in, is out of area where we usually are, so they are not used to a bunch of people coming in. They will also run and hide. It may take some time for them to get used to you.

thanks for the reply, i really hope they are just getting use to the area too!

It can take a while for them to settle in.

IF they dont' get better with time you can try adding dithers. Choose larger, deep bodies tetras(congo, columbian tetras, etc) or rainbowfish. Stay away from slim bodied tetras or other small fish. They will probably get eaten, as you've esperienced with the guppies.