DRY LIVE ROCK

boomerbob

Just looked up a place called BULK REEF SUPPLY they sell dry fiji rock , has anyone used this stuff before or knows someone

who has, it seems like a good idea as it comes with no parisites or hangers on . I know that it is not LIVE but it can be

reseeded with new bacteria . Does anyone in calgary carry this stuff ??????? . one real bonus is that its light weight

while you put it into the tank , then pour in the CYCLE and wait and see .

No they won't ship for $10 that is just the brokerage fees. The shipping is pretty expensive according to some folks on another board. If I recall the shipping comes to about $1/pound to Western Canada. You will still need some real live rock to seed the dry stuff. You will also need to go much more slowly establishing your tank as your filter (LR) needs time to seed. I don't think cycle is going to seed it very effectively, you will still need a small amount of real LR to get the dead stuff going. HTH

No they won't ship for $10 that is just the brokerage fees. The shipping is pretty expensive according to some folks on another board. If I recall the shipping comes to about $1/pound to Western Canada. You will still need some real live rock to seed the dry stuff. You will also need to go much more slowly establishing your tank as your filter (LR) needs time to seed. I don't think cycle is going to seed it very effectively, you will still need a small amount of real LR to get the dead stuff going. HTH

Ah Ha, thats the catch then. I was thinking $10 would be it.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Reef Bones for my base rock. It's the same idea - dry rock. It is cheap and works great. I used it for all the areas where it was going to be mostly covered. I also cut it up and attached it to eggcrate that I used to cover overflows and parts of the back wall. It is much more cost effective than live rock and as long as you use a variety of live rock from different sources it will all look live in a few short months. If I had to start over I would do the same thing again.

Jeff

• 2 months later...