Cockatoo Apistos?

tbemis

Looking for some help from some of you that have kept and successfully bred cockatoo apistos. I haven't seen my male in a day or two. Usually he is out lurking chasing fish especially the Columbian Ram. The female would come out from "hiding" when I put food in the tank. Now the male is "missing" and the female I see more often. She is still a nice gold colour and very territorial, if anyone gets too close to where she was hiding before she is quick to chase them away. My question is, Is this normal for the male to go missing while they are breeding? Or do I assume the worst and that he is no longer? Hopefully this is normal because he is my favorite fish I have.

Thanks.

If the female was hidden for a couple/few days, then it's a good chance that they've spawned, especially if she's pretty yellow and the black marks are quite dark. The male may be taking his turn at guarding the fry. How big is the tank and how densly planted/decorated? If it's pretty dense then I'd give him a chance to come back; however, if it isn't that densly planted, I'd take the chance and start pulling up logs/pots/whatever to find him. It may startle the parents into eating their fry, but probably a better chance to take than having a rotting corpse somewhere in there.