Monster Brissle Wroms

Martin McNally

I got some new live rock from an established tank in Calgary the other day. Its currently in a quarantine tank. I see there are now little brissle worms on the rock surface but while I was putting the rock in the tank i seen some real big ones. They must have been 4 - 5 inches long half in and out of a hole in the rock. There were about 7 of them. Should I try and get rid of those before I put the rock in the main tank?

Thanks

Martin

I got some new live rock from an established tank in Calgary the other day. Its currently in a quarantine tank. I see there are now little brissle worms on the rock surface but while I was putting the rock in the tank i seen some real big ones. They must have been 4 - 5 inches long half in and out of a hole in the rock. There were about 7 of them. Should I try and get rid of those before I put the rock in the main tank?

Thanks

Martin

I think that its completely up to you. There is all sort of debate about bristleworms, are they good or are they bad. I know there is one in my tank right now and no problems. The piece of rock that he hitched in on was from another established tank with a bunch of zoos on it and he hasn't made a meal of my fish so far.

They are just scavengers. I have lots of them, one I know of is close to a foot long. They don't seem to harm anything. Personally I think they are a valuable part of your CUC. I'm not sure how you would trap them if you did want to remove them.

They freak some people out, I think they are kind of cool.

Look in the shadows, they're there.

Just another part of the natural life in the ocean, just like the tiny brittle stars, starfish and feather dusters that are now all through my tank years after setting it up. And the only fish they will eat is a dead one, they are scavengers and are beneficial to your tank.

However, I still curse the ugly, itchy bastiches every time I grab one by mistake.

Ewww, just picturing the little worms squirming gives me goosebumps. Good to know about them though, in case I ever have any hitch a ride on some live rock.

I dont mind the little ones but the ones in there at 5 inches long are creepy. I think they might crawl out of the tank and eat me in my sleep hah.

Martin

It's crazy what comes in on rock. I've touched Bristle worms quite a few times - it's a bit itchy b/c they leave their hairs in your hand. I just pull 'em out w. tweezers and the itching goes away. It's like nettles or thistle.

That big worm from the CanReef thread is a bit freaky - not sure if I'd want to grab it.

I'm not sure I would want one in my tank. Check out this thread on canreef about a person who found one in his system.

Scary. and packs a nasty sting.

That's not a bristle worm.

I was just going on what was on the other forum. I personally don't know what it is.

I have hundreds of small bristle worms throughout my live rock and have never had a problem with them. They may not be that nice to look at but they will not harm anything in your tank. Been up and running for over a year now with no problem.

I'm not sure I would want one in my tank. Check out this thread on canreef about a person who found one in his system.

Scary. and packs a nasty sting.

That's not a bristle worm.

I was just going on what was on the other forum. I personally don't know what it is.

They called it a Eunicid worm of some type. Reminds me of the shad worms you can find on the clam flats.