Aquaclear 110 making grinding sound

firestorm

My aquaclear 500 or the new name 110 is making a grinding sound while running. It started doing it a little yesterday, so I then took the filter off and cleaned it all out well, including the propeller and down the propeller hole. Now today the darn thing has been grinding away terribly. Do you think it is time to buy a new propeller? Or would I have to get a whole new motor. I will be heading over to pisces tonight and check out their parts, but I just wanted to check with any of you who may know the problem.

Edited by firestorm

I just finished cleaning it, and it did it after I cleaned the whole thing really really good. It has always made more noise than my other AC's since I bought it used. I think the impeller might need replacing. It is balanced as far as I know. I won't make pisces now until tomorrow, so I can always take it apart tonight again and have another look. The outside of the impeller is slightly worn, so I wouldn't doubt if I need a new one. I am sure it won't cost that much for a new impeller. Thanks for your response, I will certainly look into those options :)

Most likely it needs a new impeller and shaft. Sometimes they get worn if they get sand in the impeller housing

90% of the time the impeller shaft simply needs to be replaced, not the impeller itself.

If you pull the impeller off, the shaft pulls straight out with a pair of pliers, and with a good tap they seat back in.

The impeller shafts cost approx $2 to replace.

Well the filter just stopped working tonight, I have put a temporary aquaclear 70 on the tank, but I will check it out tomorrow and see if I can get a new shaft then. It may have been sand that got in it. The guy who had it on his tank had it on one with sand as a substrate, and I had it on a tank with sand as well. I will also price out the impeller just in case I might need one of those too. But I will definitely be checking it out, I would rather replace parts for cheaper than to buy a whole new filter. Thanks guys!!!

I always replace both pieces. I find that if the shaft is worn then the hole that goes through the impeller is usualy worn to and is over sized. If it just stopped I would think that there may be something inside the housing. Try using a Qtip to clean out the groove in the housing then rinse it out several times under the tap.

Ok, ill do that nick. Thanks. I was going to probably buy both pieces today for both the AC's I have. Unfortunately when you get used equipment you don't know how the other person maintained it. I have an AC that is about 15 years old, was in storage for about 5 years out of that, and it still runs better than some of the others. The only place I really know of to buy parts at is pisces, so that is where I will be going.

I picked up a shaft and impeller from pisces today, paid a little more than expected, but the filters are working great.....and for the price it cost for new parts compared to a whole new filter i'll take that any day :) I cleaned out the whole inside like you said to nick. One of the impellers actually fell apart when I took it out. The AC110 had sand in it, darn cichlids....the male and female convict have been digging in the sand and probably threw it over by the filter tube. I took off an extension for the tubes so that it is a little higher up and to prevent sand from getting inside the filter again. Thanks for any help guys!!