suggestions for short plant

Crystal

Hi, I know very little about plants. :unsure:

I am after some suggestions for Hardy, short (2-3 inch) plants. I am looking for some that will form a fairly dense carpet in hte front of my tank, and can tolerate a couple of mystery snails and shrimp crawling over it, and small tetras spawning in it.

My ph varies between 6.5-7.8 from the tap depending on the season, I try to keep it at about 7-7.5. No added CO2, fertilizer is usually liquid form, though I can get the small pellets.

I was thinking maybe micro sword or riccia, but know next to nothing about them.

Any suggestions?

With that light, try Crypt. parva - if you can find it. Like all Crypts, it's not really picky on light,a nd it stays small. Howver, don't expect it to grow into a lush carpet in a few weeks - with low light, it will take several months. Another options is Anubias coffeeifolia or A. nana (or A. barteri var nana). Again, low light plants that stay small.

The tank sits where a fair bit of day light hits it, usually indirectly. I did have hair grass that was doing pretty well and my java moss thinks its a bad weed, it triples in size every month or so.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

If your'e having success with hairgrass, then Pygmy Chain sword should do well. If you add just a bit of CO2, you could probably grow Glossostigma, but don't go spend a bunch on that... it can be finicky.

And if you are going with CO2 and good lights, a great plant you can attach to rocks and driftwood is riccia fluitans. It stays really small, and you can attach it using mesh and some fishing line or cotton string. http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantingtips.htm http://www.aquabotanic.com/ricciaarticle.html